Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Mad Science: the “Finding Girl Comics” Edition

Have you ever tried to buy comics for pre-teen girls?  Let me tell you, it’s one of the most frustrating experiences imaginable.  My daughter Emma has a birthday coming up—her seventh—and she loves comics.  She likes reading in general, but mostly when we find her holed up somewhere, what she’s reading is a comic book.  Moreover, she really likes reading superhero comics.  I mean, yeah, she enjoyed Ape Entertainment’s recent Strawberry Shortcake adaptation, but what we’ve found her reading and re-reading over and over again is one of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold or Justice League Unlimited trades.  With that in mind, I headed out Wednesday to try to find her something new to read.  I was downtown for a meeting, so I decided to swing by Forbidden Planet, and when that didn’t work, I headed Manhattan’s most famous used bookstore, The Strand.  Between those two places, you’d think I’d find something, right?

I didn't realize Villains United was gonna have
quite so much rape and murder when I bought
it for my 7-year-old.
Ugh.  I ended up spending forty-two dollars at The Strand—where books are generally half cover price—and wound up with maybe one trade that I think Emma will like and that I also think is at least somewhat age appropriate for her.  Beyond that, I appear to have accidentally expanded my own trade paperback collection in some rather unfortunate ways. 

Now I’ll admit that part of the problem was that I was in a hurry.  The Strand has maybe five full shelves worth of trades, and even though I’ve got some passing familiarity with a goodly bit of what’s been published in the last few years, that still left me with quite a bit to try to sort through in a relatively small space of time.  That—and the fact that the books themselves were roughly half cover price—is why I actually bought books I wasn’t sure were gonna work. 

The Justice League seemed like a
good fit for my daughter Emma.
With that said, I know my daughter, and I know what she likes.  So it wasn’t like I was flying blind.  Really, I just needed to find something superhero-ish that didn’t also include any strippers, casual sex, or references to rape and murder sprinkled in amongst the costumed crime-fighting.  Now that might not seem like a very complicated task, but despite searching for a full half-hour, I was still pretty damned annoyed with some of what I came away with.  For example, the Justice League of America (JLA) seemed like a likely fit for Emma.  She likes Superman and especially Batman, and she likes girl heroes like Wonder Woman—a problem in and of itself  given what some recent writers have wanted Wonder Woman to do and/or wear lately—and JLA is DC Comics’ flagship title, the one that non-comics parents are most likely to see as well as the basis for any number of really successful Saturday Morning-style cartoon series.   So when I saw an entire section devoted to the JLA, I made a bee-line for it.  But, y’know, it’s just never that easy.  DC Comics ran a storyline a couple of years ago based on the rape and murder of one of its minor hero’s wife, and that story sold big.  As a result, a goodly bit of what I saw were, in fact, copies of that same story, along with any number of spin-offs or follow-ups, one of which I mistakenly bought.  And yeah, I read it and liked it.  But I’m 38.  I wanted something for my soon-to-be seven-year-old daughter.

So, the bottom line is that while I think comics for geeky adult fanboys are okay, I also find myself wishing more and more that the major companies would focus a little more of their attention on the next generation of readers.  ‘Cause my girls like comics.  They don’t just want an all-ages imprint.  They want the main stories, and they want them in a way that they can relate to.  I don’t think that’s too much to ask, but y’know, maybe I’m wrong.

6 comments:

  1. There are a ton and a half of webcomics which might suit her taste. I understand it's not quite as satisfying giving someone a link as a present, but they might still be interesting for her.

    Grrl Power has so far gotten to page 77. It's light-hearted and entertaining so far, but it's not very heavy on super-stuff yet if that's the general interest. http://www.grrlpowercomic.com/archives/413

    If the "superhero" part can be skipped, I'd really recomment Castle Waiting as a present. Volume 1 and 2 is out so far, and the hardcover books are good presents. Beautifully written, stylishly drawn, and an interesting plot. Black and white only, but it's really fitting for the "style" of the tale, sharing many similarities with a classic fairy tale in style. It has a significantly different pacing compared to classic superhero-tales (the link above as well), so it might be an idea to take a look on the pages presented in the amazon preview to see if it fits your daughter's taste. Seriously, though, the story is so good that you probably will enjoy it yourself. I know I did. http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Waiting-Linda-Medley/dp/1560977477

    One other recommendation as well: The Bone chronicle (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-One/dp/188896314X, if you want the 9-books-in-one-version, or you can buy them separately. Don't know if the one I linked is in colors or not.) If you haven't heard of it yet, you've really missed something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to get Emma--and my other daughter Hannah, as well--to check out Bone. But they're at the point where what they really want to see is basically just more of the cartoons they see on TV. So I put Young Justice on their Pull List, along with Batman: Brave and the Bold and that sort of thing. And we read Super Dinosaur together. But I still want to show them some of the classic stories, the stories that got ME hooked. I've just not been able to find a copy of Crisis on Infinite Earths or Secret Wars, and so much of the newer stuff is so hard core.

    I bought Emma a copy of Kurt Busiek's Trinity, and personally, I thought it was fantastic. It's long, though, so while I'm sure she'll be happy to get it and flip through it, I'm not sure how much of the story she's going to really get. Still... good book, and not too adult, I don't think. Trust Busiek to get it right.

    I'll never understand why DC Comics did Jim Krueger's Justice and (apparently) Trinity at roughly the same time they did Final Crisis but only really promoted Final Crisis. That makes NO sense, especially with Alex Ross doing the art on Justice. And though Trinity didn't have quite that same investment in its artist--it was drawn by the guy who was doing Nightwing, I think--it was still a LONG story written by another major established talent. The whole execution of 2008 to about mid-2012 just made no sense to me at all.

    With all of that in mind, my girls aren't, I don't think, quite ready for webcomics. They read, but not so much off the screen. So it's kind of a narrow window of stuff that they're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to preview these for violence, but maybe check out Wonder Woman: Hiketeia (which has Batman as sort of the antagonist) as well as Batman: The Long Halloween. If I'm not mistaken, most of the violence happens off screen in TLH. If you don't mind checking out non-mainstream, The Dreamer Comic (IDW, and at www.TheDreamerComic.com) has great art and story, set in the Revolutionary War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind'a thought The Long Halloween was a little much for the kids, but I might have to re-look it. It seems like it was drawn by Tim Sale, right? His work is rarely super-violent.

    I like that Dreamer comic, but I didn't realize it was out in print. I'd definitely try that with the girls. I might show them the webcomic and see how they like it, but like I said, I'm not sure that's gonna be their best medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Tim Sale on TLH, and Jeph Loeb when he was still good.

      The Dreamer is back in print after selling out. If you haven't gotten either vol 1 or vol 2 of the Dreamer by mid april, I can see about getting you an autographed copy. ;) Though Lora will be at Anime Boston this year, should you find yourself...at a anime show in beantown. :P

      Delete
    2. Now that would be cool. I don't honestly see it happening, but I'd LOVE to get out there. Let me get back to you about the copy though. That'd be a nice thing to have, but I think I want to look over her comic a bit first and show it to the girls.

      Delete