Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spin Class Review & Super Bowl Preview

Spin class was awesome today, if you're wondering.  Taking the class isn't really like riding an actual bicycle--there're many more short, hard efforts out of the saddle than I would ever use on a real ride, and of course, there's no real terrain--but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.  For one thing, I went all the way through class today without feeling like I'd gotten blown out.  I mean, I've had heavy legs since Wednesday, but I was able to put that aside this morning and manage the pain and the overall effort level, so that about halfway through the class, I was able to start really working it, staying confident that whatever the instructor threw at us, I was gonna be able to answer the bell.  And that was really cool.  It's a real confidence builder this early in the season to feel that way.

After class, I went out and ran my normal short-run route, a 3-mile-and-something loop that today took me just over 26-minutes.  Then I came home and made bacon and waffles.

And now I'm tired.

As an athlete, I've always been able to shunt the pain and fatigue away and focus in the moment on going harder longer, and I think that's part of why I'm so good on the middle-distance-type races, but that doesn't mean it doesn't catch up to me eventually.  Right now, a week's worth of fatigue is riding heavy.

On another topic, the Super Bowl is Sunday.  I'm sure you already knew that.  What you may not have known is where to go to listen to a really good breakdown of the match-ups in the game.  To that end, let me recommend ESPN Radio's Football Today Podcast.  I listened to it today while I was cleaning up the breakfast dishes, and it was an excellent summary.  Of course, being a New Englander working in New York City, I'm already sort of aware of the various facets of the game, but still...  it's nice to hear a smart football guy's take on it.

If you're wondering, I'm rooting for the Giants.  I like the Pats okay, but the Giants are by far my favorite NFC team, and it's been easier and easier to get on the bandwagon this year.  Not only have the Giants been inspiring over the second half of the season, but also, everyone in my office--and most especially my boss--are HUGE Giants fans.

So... go Giants!


Besides.  You gotta love David Tyree.

No comments:

Post a Comment