What I Like in a Comic Book Artist

Somebody asked me a few days ago what I like in a comic book artist.  The answer is that there's no one thing, really.  I like a lot of different styles, dependent in part on what I'm reading and a little on how I'm feeling at the time.  The fact is that there's not one right way to draw comics.  We tend to think of the lantern-jawed, barrel-chested Marvel/DC collective house style as the "right" way to draw comics, but really, that cuts out an awful lot of good stuff out there.

Personally, I like to see artists put themselves into their work.  I'll trade realism for action and emotion any day.  With that said, here are some of my personal favorites.  This first one is from the best piece of comic work that I've ever been involved with, Webisode 22 of Awesome Storm Justice 41.  Steve Downer drew it, and I think we can all agree that it rocks.
Page 3, ASJ-41 Webisode 3.
Not what I'd call realistic, exactly, but it definitely pops, right?  I dug it the most.

Another favorite of mine is Cary Nord, especially his run on the early part of Dark Horse Comics' relaunch of Conan.
Conan by Cary Nord.  It screams, right?

Finally, I think I ought to mention Alex Maleev, who drew perhaps my favorite comic story run of all time, the Brian Bendis/Alex Maleev run on Daredevil.
I don't usually go in for "brooding", but this run
was just soooo good.

I suppose my taste in art is of a piece with my taste in music.  I like stuff that has energy, that makes me feel alive.  All of these guys do.  There are many others, but you ask who some of my favorites are, and now you know.

Anybody want to name any more?

Comments

  1. I think you summed up art tastes well. A lot of depends on the story, and your mood. I mean, Scottie Young is a great artist but I'd hate to see him draw Garth Ennis Punisher.

    I think some of the artists I like no matter what are Adam Hughes, Silvestri, Jim Lee and John Byrne. I do like Kennath Rockaford, Amanda Conner and Stuart Imomen but I won't get just *anything* they do. And while some are similar, a lot of them are different too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I'll say to that, Alan, is that I wish DC editorial would rein in some of Jim Lee's excesses. The girls and I are reading Justice League, and we like it okay, but there are so few panels per page, that it's taken five issues to tell what is at best half a story. However, we've gotten TONS of unnecessary emphasis panels and splash pages because drawing those (and selling the original art) is how Lee is supplementing his income.

    That's fine, but it would work FOR ME if DC just paid him what he was worth and asked for a higher story-per-page ratio.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs