Sunday, March 11, 2012

Tri Update: First Workouts, First Swims, and a Bike Ride

Got in the water for the first time since early September this afternoon.  I was supposed to get in with my team on Wednesday, but the pool was closed for some reason, and to be honest, based on how I felt today, it was just as well.  I can still feel the water and the way swimming is supposed to feel, but after a five-month layoff, holding it together for any length of time is a serious challenge--one  that I'm glad I wound up being about to confront on my own.

Still, I wouldn't say that it was a bad week.  Far from it.  Between commuting and my long ride yesterday morning, I wound up putting in seventy-five miles on the bike, and I got out for a five mile run.  Sally and I are running tomorrow, too--that's why I didn't run today--so, bottom line, I feel like the training season is slowly but surely coming together.  Using my points system to equate swimming, biking, and running, here's what we have so far this month:

I use a points system to equate the three disciplines of triathlon:
100 yds swimming = 1 mile riding = 1/4-mile running.
After last week's Rest Week, this was a good base week.  Now I just need to keep it slow and easy and go long to finish building to the point where I can put in the real work later in the season.  Next week ought to see a little more running, but I'd like to maintain the focus on the bike for awhile, especially since running was my primary exercise all through the off-season.  And then, too, now that the swimming's back in, I have something to do on the off-days besides just rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment