Saturday, April 28, 2012

Six Essential Books

1.        Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.
When someone asks me what they
ought to read next, I always recommend
Altered Carbon first.
Richard K. Morgan is my favorite author, and this is his best, most well-known book.  Part sci fi, part hard-boiled detective novel, part social commentary.  This one’s really on another plane.  It goes beyond science fiction and straight into the realm of actual literature.

2.       Fletch by Gregory MacDonald. 
You ask me, MacDonald is the most talented English language writer who’s still alive and actively working.  The whole series is an amazingly minimalist, dialogue-driven experience that’s hard to do justice by mere explanation.  That these books are pulp mysteries makes them all the more remarkable.

I liked the Chevy Chase movie version of Fletch okay, but the movie doesn’t even get close to doing this series justice.

3.       Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith.
If Gregory MacDonald isn’t the best currently-working English language writer, then that title certainly belongs to Martin Cruz Smith.  This series is remarkable, and the first two books in particular are absolutely amazing.  Gorky Park is a literary thriller of the kind that I’ll bet John Grisham dreams of writing.  The follow-up, Polar Star, is probably the most curious and inventive novel I’ve ever read.

4.       The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.
Folks can argue about what the greatest graphic novel of all time is.  Most comic aficionados would probably argue for either V for Vendetta or The Watchman, but I’ve always (much) preferred DKR.  Not only did Miller change the industry with this book, he also blew my mind.

Why do people love Batman so much?  Read The Dark Knight Returns and find out.

5.       So Far from God: The U.S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848 by John S. D. Eisenhower.
So Far From God is my favorite non-fiction book.  Written by President Eisenhower’s son—a successful guy in his own right, but far less famous—this book is about the Mexican-American War and especially Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s part in it.

I met Ambassador Eisenhower back when I was a cadet, and that’s how I discovered this book.  At the time I was fascinated by the fact that someone had written about the heroes of the Civil War and their experiences as company-grade officers.  And to be honest, that’s still my fascination with it.  This book doesn’t get the recognition that it deserves.

6.        Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer.
If you’re a graduate of West Point, Once an Eagle is the answer the Academy would like for you to give when asked the question, “What’s your favorite book?”  Part war story, part treatise on leadership, Once an Eaglewas by far and away my father’s favorite book.  He read it at least thirteen times, and when he was still a Marine, people used to tell him that he should play the part of Sam Damon when they made the inevitable movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment