Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fairfield Half Marathon: Pre-Race Jitters

The Fairfield Half Marathon starts in about two hours.  I've been resting my legs all week, and I've spent a ton of time training for this race, but I still can't shake the feeling that this is really Sally's race.  As I said the other day, if it was up to me, I'd rather we were doing a bike race, a metric century or something like that.  I mean, I'm ready to run; it's just that I know that the last two or three miles today are gonna be a slog, and at this point, there's no dealing with that besides to just gut it out.

Thankfully, the heat around here has finally broken.  It was in the mid-nineties all week and the mid- to upper-eighties yesterday, but it's only maybe sixty outside right now, and it's not supposed to get above the high seventies before the end of the race.  That's good.  Still, I already told Sally that my goal today is just to finish.  Hitting Mile Ten in seventy-seven degree heat is gonna take everything that I have.  I know this because we ran 12.5-miles last weekend in similar conditions, and the last mile and a half was imminently painful.  Compare that to the fifty-degree weather we had during the Hartford Half, and you can see why I personally prefer that race; I'm a much better runner when it's cool.

Well.  It's about time to start getting ready.  I'll let you know how the race went a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment