Saturday, June 16, 2012

Long Run Today

Went out with Sally and one of her friends this morning for our last long run before the Fairfield Half Marathon.  I ended up putting in a little more than twelve miles, and it was finally a bit of a confidence booster, but I took it easy the whole time.  At the end of the day, I averaged a touch over 9-minutes per mile, and while that's not disastrous, it's also not anything to write home about.  Sally and her friend were both substantially faster, though to be fair, they're both better runners than me.

I want to be positive about this race because it means a lot to Sally that I'm doing it with her, but privately, I wish like Hell we were doing a metric century or something like that on the bikes.  I don't mind working out of my comfort zone, and to be sure, Sally spent all last season learning to swim so that she could do some triathlons with me, but I've already told her that next season I'm either gonna do multi-sport races or just race bikes.  All this running is not exactly my best thing.

With that said, I usually train on a four-week cycle, with three weeks hard followed by one week easy.  However, this past month I've gotten away from that, training four weeks straight without a Rest Week.  And I'm wondering--hoping--that it's that that's got me running so poorly of late.  Because if this coming Rest Week doesn't fix me, then this half is looking to be an ugly experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment