Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Comics: Bronx Angel--Politics By Another Method (Page 2-3)

Bronx Angel: Politics by Another Method, Pages 2-3.
I doubt you'll be able to read this without clicking to see the full sized image.  Click here.
One thing you don't know about my wife is that she worked for four years in the Peace Corps in Paraguay.  So she speaks Spanish like a native--better than some natives, really--and she'd been teaching in the South Bronx in the years before she met me.  

For me, I wrote this when I was working in the Bronx as an Overhead Construction Supervisor.  So the Bronx is a place that's near and dear to our hearts, both mine and Sally's, and we worked together to try to get the patois of the place correct.

The idea here was that Angel was supposed to be a mixed-race kid--half black and half Latino.  And like a lot of sort of later-generation kids from Latino immigrant families, his Spanish isn't so much Spanish as it is Spanglish.  I like how this came out, but Sally makes fun  of me for Angel's pronunciation  of "Momma."

The above, of course, is the greyscaled page from the five-page preview.  The actual page in the book appears below.
BA:PBAM, pages 2-3, original format.
Click here to see these pages at full size.
BTW, yes, it's 4am.  Yes, I forgot we were changing the clocks back.  And no, I can't go back to bed because I already started making the coffee.

2 comments:

  1. I know dear you didn't listen to me. I would recommend "mama" but it still came out fine. I do miss those days in the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the Bronx, too, but I think that by the end of the week, I'll be ready for my nice, warm office again.

    ReplyDelete