Monday, May 20, 2013

Triathlon Training Diary: 5/13 to 5/19

This week started off kind of slow.  It was a little hard to get motivated coming off of the race last weekend, and then, too, there was a lot of family stuff going on.  But I think I managed to end on a high note, so I guess I’ll take it.  
Moreover, this was a run-focused week, and since running is by far and away my weakest discipline, I felt good about putting whatever effort I had into it.


Swim
I didn’t manage to swim until Sunday.  My Tri Club is on hiatus until mid-June, leaving me with no reason to head to the pool on Wednesday night, and indeed, Sally asked me to stay home and have dinner with her.  Which was fine, but it left me struggling to make up for some missed yardage on the weekend that I probably should have found some way to put in during the week.
In any event, Sunday was the day.  I’d planned to ride to the pool, swim about 2500 yards, and then ride back to the house, but when I woke up on Sunday, I was sore from Saturday’s long run.  So I skipped the ride in order to let me legs recover for a day.  I therefore wound up putting all of the day’s work in at the pool.
  1. 200 SKIPS
  2. 20 x 100 @ 1:25 (every fifth one fast)
  3. 10 x 50 kick @ 1:05
  4. 100 easy
  5. 5 x 100 pull @ 1:30
  6. 5 x 50 @ :55, alternating fly/free.
  7. 100 warm down
That totalled out at 4500 yards and lef tme pretty tired.  Probably not quite as tired as I’d have been if I’d run ten and a half miles, but still...
Anyway, I’d never done a main set quite like that 20 x 100 set, but I kind of liked it.  It was like fartlek swimming.  And I managed to hold my fast 100s at about 1:10, so that’s good.  For the 50s at the end of the workout, I tried hard to get under :30 for the ones I did butterfly, but I just couldn’t do it.  I went :32, then :31.5, and then 33.  I think I could probably go under a minute for a 100 fly from the blocks, but I doubt I could do it from a push, even in a race.
*sigh*
Swimming Total: 1 x swim workout (4500); 45 pts.
Bike
I rode my commute four times this week, and I didn’t get run over, but there was one near-miss that was really close.  I usually ride very defensively in New York, but this guy pulled out from a space at the curb at exactly the same moment I was riding by.  I had no time at all to react, but thankfully, he saw me.  The bastard.
It annoys me when people don’t look where they’re driving, especially in New York.  What are these guys thinking?
Riding Total: 4 x commute riding (44 miles);44 pts.
Run
I ran three times this week, but not one of those times did I have a watch.  Tuesday, I went about five miles at something like a tempo pace, but I’ve no idea how that timed out.  I ran easy on Thursday, something like four miles.  Then on Saturday I got up at 5:00 and ran a little more than eight and felt very comfortable doing it.  That was by far the best run of the week, and all things considered, I’d have been happy to have kept running, but Saturday was a busy day, so unfortunately, I just didn’t have the time.
Still, I feel like it was a good week of running, and truthfully, I liked running without either a watch or music.  It was liberating.
Running Total: 3 x runs (5, 3.9, 8.1 miles); 68 pts.
Triathlon Training Total: 157 pts.
Final Thoughts
I was pleased with that training week, especially with the eight-miler, even though the swim was technically more points.  Still, I feel like I did what I needed to do to keep getting ready for my next triathlon, the Pat Griskus Olympic Triathlon.  That’s New England’s regional club championship, and a Hell of a hard course.  I think I’ll be ready, but I’m under no illusion about placing particularly well.  Still, if I run the best race I can and finish strong, that’ll be achievement enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment