Thursday, June 13, 2013

Love for Superior Spider-Man #11

Dear Spider-Guys,

Superior Spider-Man #11
I just finished Superior Spider-Man #11, and I gotta say... WOW!  You can count me among the skeptical with the way that Amazing Spider-Man ended, but Superior #11 was as good as anything Mr. Slott did with ASM.  For example, Doc Ock's reflection in the middle of the book, "a murderer doesn't suddenly become a different... different--". That really WAS gold. Well played.

But the real reason that I'm writing is because of the thing with all of Doc Ock's Spider-Bots. I hadn't thought of Superior Spider-Man's plotline as an extended reflection on the US government's NSA surveillance programs until the current issue, but... well, there it is.

Why shouldn't Ock use his technology to watch over the whole City in real time?  Why shouldn't he be a superior Spider-Man?

I don't know. Just last week no less a liberal than Bill Maher took Ock's side in the debate, and it made me uncomfortable to agree with him that maybe the Fourth Amendment really is a little out-dated given all the threats we face in the modern world.  I mean, it's all good to march for freedom--until somebody sets off a Dirty Bomb in Midtown. But then?

I don't know. I'm not a fan of having my phones tapped, but I work in Manhattan, and I like getting home safe.

--Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment