Monday, September 2, 2013

This Morning's Run and Last Week's Tri Training

Sally and I ran a little more than three and a half miles this morning at a shade under 8:50/mile pace.  That's not important for any particular reason, but I can't think of anything else to write about this morning, so there you have it.

This is Stratford's running trail.  It was on our route this morning.

Afterwards, we came back and stretched and then drove down to the beach to soak in the cold water for a little while, and that really helped.

My ankle was sore again during the run, but it loosened up, at least a little, once we got into it a bit, and it felt genuinely better after I'd soaked in the cold salt water at the beach.  In retrospect, I think I would've been well-served by taking some Advil before we started stretching as a way of keeping the inflamation down while we were running.  Unfortunately, however, that didn't occur to me until after we ran this morning.

My buddy calls Advil "workout pills."  This is an apt description for those of us who're old enough and beat-up enough to need some kind of constant tendon/joint relief.

The upside, though, is that it seems like the injury really is a tendon thing rather than a stress fracture or something more serious.  Who knows?  Maybe if I aggressively treat the swelling between now and mid-October, I really will succeed in limping through the rest of the season without too many lost running days.

I'm keeping limited goals these days, I admit, but at least I'm still keeping goals.

***
I'm not gonna write up last week's tri training log in any detail because at this point it seems a little silly.  I ran twice--five miles and then six and a half--and I rode my commute four times.  But I never made it into the pool, and I didn't get that third run in that I've been trying to fit into my schedule all season, so all things considered, it was a pretty light week.  

'Course, it still felt like a long week, but what are you gonna do?  That at least wasn't the fault of my triathlon training.

***
I'd like to say that we have awesome plans for the rest of our Labor Day, but the truth is, I think I'm gonna spend most of the rest of the day watching Netflix and getting caught up on my ironing.  I did sit down this morning and work some more on the new short story I'm writing for the girls, but besides that and this morning's run, it looks like it's gonna be kind of a lazy, housework-filled holiday.

What do you guys have going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment