I Rode in Today

Here's what I learned:

1. Riding in temperatures at or near 20-degrees isn't fun. But it doesn't appear to be actively hazardous, either. 

2.  Riding in temperatures in the lower teens is a different story.

At that temperature, the lube on my bike chain froze up, making my pedals stiff and making it hard to shift. Moreover, even with a full facemask, breathing air that cold was almost painful. Going up hills was harder than normal because I couldn't get my bike into first gear, and that meant my lungs were working like a bellows. That brought my core body temperature down, which sucked even more.  It took me hours to warm up after I got into the office this morning, and my feet were so cold they hurt for the last five minutes of the ride. Plus, every time I stopped for a traffic light, I started shivering. None if that was at all good. 

In retrospect, I needed a warmer hat and much warmer socks and shoes. 

This afternoon's ride was much, much better, even though the temperature was only a half dozen degrees higher.  Because let's face it, there is a world of difference between 13-degrees and 20. 

I think from now on, I'm gonna have to reconsider commute riding under, say, 18-degrees.  I like riding, but risking my health is foolish, even to avoid the New York City subway system. 

Comments

  1. Hey, just a quick note that I love reading your blog, but I can't post because my work has a lockdown on all social media and blogs. I read your blog through an RSS feed but can't comment.

    Dude, it's fucking cold! Take a cab. XD It's been -17 degrees for the past 3 days here and my goatee freezes from the house to the car. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. If it makes you feel any better, I'm totally behind on Rival Angels. I've been meaning to catch up, but... You know how it goes.

      I've totally missed you, too, but, you know, employment is good. I'm in favor of you working.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs