Monday, March 3, 2014

Training Log:

I don't know that I want to call this past week a real Training Week, but it's almost a Training Week, and at this point, I'll take what I can get.


Swim
I was gonna swim during the week, but it's been so damned cold and dark by the time I get home at nights that it's just not happening.  Plus, Sally had a really, really hard week, and it's tough to walk out the door to train when your wife looks like she's gonna drop dead from exhaustion at any moment.  So I never managed to get in a mid-week swim, but I did get a lot of dishes done, and I tried to do whatever else I could to lessen the strain on Sally, and that's worth something.  Probably not much, but we do what we can.

With that said, I swam both Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday's workout was more of an aerobic/distance-type thing.  Sunday I wound up racing with one of the Y's Master's Swimmers, turning what would have been a very laxidaisical swim into an uptempo/interval workout.

Saturday:
Warm-Up:
 --- 5 x 100 @ 1:30
 --- 200 kick

Main Set: Reverse Ladder
 --- 400, 300, 200, 100 @ base 1:25/100

 --- 200 kick
 --- 300 pull
 --- 100 warm-down

Sunday:
Warm-Up:
 --- 5 x 100 @ 1:30
 --- 200 kick

Main Set: 100s Tempo
 --- 10 x 100 tempo @ 1:30
 ----- Held 1:12 for the 1st eight, got tired, and was at ~1:15 for the last two.

 --- 200 pull
 --- 100 warm-down

Swimming Total: 2 x Swim (2200, 2000); 42 pts.


Bike
I got out for a little more than 18-miles on Sunday last week, and that was great.  Then I rode my regular commute twice, on Monday and Thursday.  That wasn't too bad, but of course, I'll be riding a lot more once Daylight Savings Time hits and the weather improves a little.

Cycling Total: 2 x Commute Rides (11-miles each); 22 pts.


Run
I ran Wednesday and then Sunday.  I probably should've rested my calf and ankle another week, but I like running, and it's been feeling okay, so I decided to risk it.  We'll see in the next few weeks if I came back too soon.

Did Wednesday's run at lunch, and as I wrote last week, I wound up venting my frustrations via exercise, which probably wasn't smart physically but felt great.  Sunday was more of a typical, easy run, and that one I definitely did not push.  I was stiff and slow almost all the way through.  Both runs were right at four miles.

At this point, my main goal for running is just to stay healthy and stay in the game.  If I have to run slow in order to keep running, then so be it.  I'd rather putter around but run a little than push it and wind up having to compete in the Aquabike division.  Not that I'm necessarily going to compete much, but that's beside the point.

Running Total: 2 x Runs (4-miles, 4,25-miles); 17 pts.

Triathlon Training Total: 97 pts.

97 points isn't kicking ass or anything, but it's not terrible, and it's a Hell of a lot better than I've managed this year up to now.  If I can put in a few more weeks like that and then slowly ramp up to a normal training schedule, then maybe I can salvage this season.  Granted, I don't have much in the way of goals this year, and truth be told, I'm not looking to set any.  Still, I like training, and if I'm not planning to race as much as I have in the past, it's not because I don't want to feel good or live a healthy lifestyle.

Truth is, I just don't feel like I have much to prove. Maybe I'll feel differently once the weather warms, but for now, it's enough for me just to do my thing as best I can and feel good doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment