Saturday, December 6, 2014

This Morning's Swim Workout

My buddy Ben and I did a butterfly workout this morning, it was something of a ball-buster. Ben's contemplating a run at Master's Nationals this season, competing in the 100 Fly among other events. So we've been doing a little more stroke work lately, and let me tell you, it hasn't been as easy as it used to be.

We wound up doing lots of up tempo work, and as a result, the workout itself took a bit longer than I thought it would.  What can you do?  It was still hard as Heck. 

Anyway, here's what we did:

Warm Up:
5 x 100 @ 1:30 (easy)
200 kick

Main Set:
-5  x through the following:
---- 100 free (aerobic pace)
---- 4 x 50 @ :55 (alternating fly/free)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:05

50 easy drill (butterfly)
50 for time

4 x 200 pull @ 3:00
50 easy

4 x 50 fly @ :50 (aerobic)

50 warm down

We came in together on the 50 timer.  One of the moms watching her kid at swim practice timed us at 29.9.  I was pleased with that, especially considering how hard that Main Set turned out to be.
Ben left after that, having put in four swim workouts this week. Meanwhile, I suffered through the 200s pull.  Nothing special there.  The 4 x 50 fly at the end of practice was miserable but necessary.  Ugh.

And then I hit the gym to lift weights.  Back, biceps, and core work. That went okay, but I didn't work too super-hard after that swimming workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment