Gone Girl

Have you ever read a book and had it be a humbling experience?  That's what's happening for me right now with Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.

Look, I like to write. I am good at it. Well... better than most people, anyway. Far above average.  

This is not what I'm talking about. 

People ask me why I write or--more often--why I don't write full-time.  It's a lot like my swimming career.  I'm a good swimmer--and a decent triathlete--but I've never gotten particularly close to going to the Olympics or to being truly world class.  That's another league entirely.  That's not the same thing at all. What I do, it looks impressive until you compare it to the very best in the world.  It's as far from that as my typical weekend warrior master's-level training is to the average, everyday guy who's trying to learn not to drown. It's depressing.  It may also be worth doing, but it's as much a reminder of my failures as of my successes. 

I'm loving Gone Girl, but it also makes me sad because it is so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs