Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday Odds & Ends: How to Watch Army at Buffalo

Happy Saturday, everybody!
There's no better way to start a weekend.  Granted, I missed last night's game because of my daughter Hannah's 13th birthday party, but I was still super-excited to see the result.  This game has gone to double-overtime twice in recent years, but Army won in regulation last night.  That's pretty amazing.



This tweet confused me until I realized that poor Drunk Old Grad must have been fielding questions nonstop about the game.  For the record, here are my official instructions concerning this particular game:

How to Watch Army at Buffalo

Step 1: Go to Walmart, Target, or BJs and buy a Google Chromecast.  They are $39.  That's an incredible value.

Step 2: Plug the Chromecast into the HDMI port on your TV.

Step 3: Download the Chromecast App to your phone or tablet.  Apple has one, too.

Step 4: Using the Chromecast app, sync your new Chromecast to your WiFi router.

Step 5: Download the Watch ESPN app, or just go to http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index.

Step 6: ESPN 3 is available via Watch ESPN.  Open the app at 7:00.

Step 7: Log in using information from your cable and/or digital data provider.  For example, if you have an Optonline email account, use your account login and password.  A complete list of providers is available here.

Step 8: Find the game in the "Live Now" tab.  Click to open it.

Click here to Chromecast.
Step 9: Use the "Chromecast" button to push the video feed from your phone to your Chromecast.

Step 10: Sit back and enjoy.

ESPN 3 is a "Chromecast Ready" app, which means that it streams straight from ESPN headquarters in Connecticut to your Chromecast, bypassing your phone and/or computer, which in turn means that the picture is crisp and the stream is steady.  Netflix, YouTube, Watch ABC, CBS Sports, and many others stream the same way.  By comparison, last week's stream on the American Sports Network was NOT "Chromecast Ready," so Chrome mirrored the feed from a specific tab that you had to have open on your computer, degrading playback.  ESPN 3 broadcasts are almost always high quality video.





It's been a lot of football on the blog lately, but I'm doing a review of Marvel Masterworks: Ms. Marvel (Vol. 1) early next week.  That's everything you ever wanted to know about Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, to get your ready for the movie will be on the blog on Monday morning.

Look for it.

***
Support This Blog

My biggest complaint by far about writing is the difficulty I have in steering my audience's attention.  I get that people want to know about Army Football, that they sometimes get interested in my swimming or triathlon training, and that they like my D&D design work, though I've not done a lot of that lately.  I've even been flattered--ridiculously flattered--by the interest my memoir has recently provoked.  Honestly, I've no idea why people are so interested in my life, but those posts invariably do better numbers than almost anything else.

Still, I think of myself primarily as a novelist and fiction writer.


Sneakatara Boatman & the Priest of Loki is a short collection of stories that I wrote as Christmas presents for my kids over the course of three years.  In all honesty, everyone who's read it likes it, and it's an easy read.  It's also all of $2.99 via Amazon and the Kindle App.

The sequel, Sneakatara Boatman & the Crown of Pluto, is a little more serious.  Like Priest of Loki, I wrote the second book for my girls as well, but it's really targeted at the young women they are becoming.  If you follow this blog, you will know that my daughter Hannah already wants passionately to go to the Military Academy and to eventually serve her country as an Army Veterinarian.  All of Sneax books, including the forthcoming Mystery of Mordecai's Monster, are intended as cautionary tales about the impacts that bad choices can have on our loved ones.

This is especially true of Crown of Pluto, a story I wrote in the months leading up to my 20th reunion at West Point and which was largely influenced by my concerns about the potential difficulties involved in reconnecting with my classmates who've spent a lot of time in combat.  My fears proved largely unfounded, thankfully, but I still hope the book has something to say on a difficult subject.  For what it's worth, my buddy Brian liked it quite a bit, and he's done tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you like this blog and want to support my work, please do that by giving my fiction a chance.  My stuff is not at all expensive, and you can read it easily using the Kindle app on your phone.

Thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment