Friday, July 20, 2018

5 Things on a Friday: Waiting for My Giant Seahorse

I was on vacation the first three days this week, and it still feels like it’s been a long week.  Argh!
Happy Friday, folks.

1. Pics from Vacation
The kids were on a mission trip this week down to Philadelphia, so Sally and I took the pop-up to a campground in Rhode Island for a few days.  Nice trip.  The highlight was probably the eight mile mountain biking trail we did on Monday afternoon, but I don’t have any pictures from that because it took both hands and every ounce of concentration I possess just to get back in one piece.  
They said it was “moderate”.  Heh.  Maybe that would’ve been true back when I was twenty.
Anyway, we also hit Newport Beach, where I took one of my all-time favorite pics of the two of us, and the famous Cliff Walk among other activities.  We had fun.
Have pop-up, will travel.
Our set-up.
East Beach, Rhode Island
View from the Cliff Walk in Newport
More from the Cliff Walk
My new favorite picture.  #NoSuitNoProblem.

A sliding currency could help China's huge export industry cope with new US tariffs, as it makes Chinese products cheaper for buyers who pay in dollars. That could in turn boost an economy that posted its slowest growth rate in nearly two years — 6.7% — in the second quarter.
Unlike the dollar or euro, the yuan does not float freely against other currencies. Instead, China's central bank helps guide the currency by setting a daily trading range. On Thursday, it surprised investors by guiding the yuan lower.
The article is full of “risks” for the Chinese economy if the Yuan keeps falling, but they all strike me as bogus.  The Chinese don’t want to artificially defend their currency, which is smart because that would unnecessarily deplete their foreign currency reserves, and the weaker currency makes their exports cheaper at the same time, blunting the effects of the tarriffs.  None of that is bad.  Granted, the price of imported oil goes up, but that’s about the only downside.

For reference, from the old Superfriends cartoon...
Via the Superfriends Wiki.
4.  Titans Trailer

I could do without "Fuck Batman," but otherwise this is about what I would've expected.
Titans will headline the new DC Comics subscription channel because now everyone wants to be Netflix.  The new channel will run you $7.99/month or $74.99 if you pay for a year up front.  There's also an embedded online comic book feature, but it won't be particularly large, offering just two to three thousand titles at a time on a rotating basis.  That is a very tiny fraction of DC’s total catalogue.
5.  Soon…?
A post shared by Mount Snow (@mountsnow) on

I’m not ready for snow, exactly, but I am beyond ready for football season.
* * *
That’s all I’ve got, friends.  Enjoy the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment