Is Writing Even Worth It Anymore?

Yesterday's Ross Tucker Football Podcast featured Chris Horwedel, founder of The Underdog Sports.  Good interview.  Horwedel talked about getting his start as a teenager writing about sports and hosting a podcast and how he'd been a little lucky -- and obviously very good -- in terms of finding collaborators and getting his business of the ground.


But then he said something that I didn't like.

To paraphrase, "Underdog Sports is going to stop doing articles soon because they just don't make sense.  We make maybe $30-$40 per month on written journalism.  Compared to what we can make with a podcast, writing is just not worth our time."

Alas, dear readers, we've seen this same effect over at As For Football.  I will always be a writer first, but where our podcast, YouTube stream, and social media channels are growing, our written content has maybe kind of stagnated.  Granted, we treat the whole site more like a podcast network than anything.  Ad wise, it's all one thing.  But in terms of sheer readership, I hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like folks are looking for new content much.  We'll see how it goes once the season starts, but the offseason has been kind of a hard slog.  Really, we can't get you guys to click on much of anything that's doesn't have a picture of QB Kelvin Hopkins or FB Darnell Woolfolk scoring a touchdown on its cover.


I've seen the same thing here.  My personal social media footprint is growing.  I pick up a few new Twitter followers everyday, and these days, pretty much anything I put out there gets at least some kind of reaction.  However, this site here is dead (granted, I've shut it down myself a few times), and I don't think there's a lot that I can do about it.  My memoir hasn't picked up any new readers since I finished publishing it, and my cook book idea has maybe a dozen folks interested.

By comparison, this very simple, less-than-one-minute video has been viewed almost 400 times:


I don't know, folks.  Is there a point to this side of it still?

Does anybody read anything?


Comments