Friday, September 6, 2013

Life Is So Weird...

You know how people say, "Oh, you'll never use all that weird math in real life.  They're just teaching it to you to teach you how to think."  Nothing could be further from the truth.

I was a European History major.  But so far today, I've used two different kinds of trigonometry.  First, in a discussion of shifting phase angles and polarity in regards to standards conventions versus practice in the replacement of a large and expensive piece of equipment.  Second, when I had to figure actual loading on a large transformer, and our typical power factor assumptions weren't exact enough.  The first instance was by far the more complicated of the two, but it was also a largely theoretical discussion that required only the application of basic concepts to understand what the Hell my boss was trying to tell me.  The second one required real math, although I grant you that it was only a combat application of the Pythagorean Theorem.

But still...

Anyway, it's lunchtime on a Friday, and I've still got one--hopefully routine--study left to do.  With that in mind, here's "Football on Your Phone."  Because I feel like I need a stupidity break today.  And also because, let's face it, Peyton Manning is still the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment