Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday Weight Workout

I have no idea if anybody will care about this, but here was today’s weight workout.

To be clear: you guys don’t have to care. However, I need a break from writing about football, and folks have occasionally shown an unaccountable interest in my workouts, and so here we are.

This workout is a collection of circuits. Basically I am super-setting everything, working unrelated muscle groups during “rest” periods to keep my heartrate up more consistently over time. I am a swimmer / snowboarder / bike-commuter, so I almost never lift heavy. These weight workouts are mostly about building muscular endurance, flexibility, and joint strength ahead of snowboarding season. 

Plus, I enjoy lifting quite a bit.

Unless otherwise noted, I did each set three times.

Yoga + Stretching (1x)

  • 5 x Sunrise Salutes

  • Stretch ~5 minutes with emphasis on my hips, lower back, and hamstrings

Warm-Up Set (3x)

  • 12 x push-ups

  • 12 x Bodyweight squats

  • 15 x Tuck-Ups

Set 1 (3x)

  • Incline Bench (x5 sets)

  • 8 x Forward Lunges 

  • 12 x Bicycles

Set 2 (3x)

  • DB Military Press (x4 sets)

  • Single-leg squats (x6)

  • Incline leg raises (x12)

Set 3 (3x)

  • Machine chest flies

  • Reverse lunges (x8)

  • Triceps press-downs with rope

Set 4 (3x)

  • Kettlebell tricep press

  • Russian Twists (low weight, x12)

* * *

The good news is that swimming and bike-commuting work together to forgive a lot of sins in the weight room. If I miss something here, I’ll hit it later in the pool or on the bike. The bad news is that it takes a ton of focus to be even moderately good in the pool. I therefore try to hit the water at least four times/week. Three of those swims get bricked with weight workouts -- when I have time -- and then my Saturday swims are usually longer. My goal for Saturdays is 4000+ yards. Yesterday, I went 4100.

This workout, then, was kind of a gift. We had Veteran’s Day off, so I was able to hit the water Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I therefore did not have to swim today.

I knew this weight-only workout was coming and looked forward to it all week.

I usually use a pyramid concept in the weight room, adding a warm-up set when necessary. I’ll also add an extra heavy set whenever I’m feeling it.


Base Concept

  • 10 reps at a medium weight

  • 6-8 reps at a heavier weight

  • 12 reps at the original weight


My Incline Bench set went like this:

  • Warm-Up Set: 10 x 65 lbs.

  • Medium Weight: 10 x 95 lbs.

  • Heavier: 8 x 115 lbs.

  • Second Heavier Set: 6 x 135 lbs.

  • Medium Weight: 12 x 95 lbs.

I don’t incline with a straight bar very often at all, so I was super-pleased with this.


Dumbbell Military Press Set:

  • 10 x 25 lbs.

  • 8 x 32.5 lbs.

  • 8 x 32.5 lbs.

  • 12 x 25 lbs.

It’s a luxury to have 2.5-pound increment dumbbells at the gym. I probably could’ve worked safely with 35 lb. dumbbells, but this was better, and I was comfortable enough to push it with a second aggressive set.

So anyway, that was my workout. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment