Monday, March 19, 2012

Monster of the Week: Icefire Penguin

In honor of my daughter Emma's 7th birthday, this week's Monster of the Week is the Icefire Penguin.

We celebrated Emma's birthday on Saturday with a penguin-themed party, and with all those 7-year-old girls running around here--all playing with stuffed penguins--of course, the only thing I could think about all party long was how cool it would be if have MY party got attacked by a pack of vicious primordial penguin monsters.  I mean, you don't typically think of penguins as horrifying dealers of death and destruction, but...

The always terrifying Icefire Penguin!
Created using WotC's Adventure Tools.
If you're curious, I'm planning to run the new Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl in my game, The Sellswords of Luskan soon.  The story here is that the Sellswords are on their way to the frost giant enclave, where they will confront the leader of the giants who've pledged allegiance to the Spine of the World's now infamous Cult of Fire.  The Cult of Fire is a longstanding enemy group in our game, and it dovetails nicely with the base story used in the rewritten Against the Giants campaign Wizards of the Coast (WotC) is running in Dungeon Magazine right now.  The only issue is that my giants are Fire Cultist Giants, but the campaign as-written doesn't have any fire cultists or elemental fire-type critters anywhere in it.  So I'm editing it a little, adding in some new critters and basically tailoring the campaign to my needs.  The Icefire Penguin is a part of that effort.

With that said, Icefire Penguins are really best used in areas with a mix of aquatic and icy terrain.  They'd be most effective in the Elemental Chaos, playing among the icebergs of the Endless Sea, maybe guarding some kind of fiery citadel nestled deep in the heart of a giant floating icy Hell.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you need the minor action attack. This isn't an elite monster and its "cool" attack is the slide, which is very dangerous! If you want, increase the recharge on the slide so it can happen more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, I've been thinking about this all day, and after all that, I think I disagree. First off, the Minor is a Recharge 6, and second off, the slide power is a recharge, too. The real problem here, I think, is that the Bite power does too much damage. It needs to do an average of (16 + 8) * .75 = 18 pts. And right now, I think it's set to an average of 24. If I made that change, I think I could keep the Minor attack, as long as THAT attack did something like 12 or 14 pts damage on average. No?

    ReplyDelete