Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Mad Science: Still Sleepy

I'm still working six days a week, twelve-pus hours per day, and at this point, I'm getting sleepy.  The good news is that I finally got a chance to see The Amazing Spider-Man with my girls earlier in the week--I had a day off after working all night one night this week--and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.  I mean, I can see why a lot of reviewers called the movie "good but unnecessary".  They re-tell the origin story of a hero who is, at this point, familiar to virtually everyone.  On the other hand, a goodly bit of the re-telling is an improvement.  The scene where Uncle Ben dies is probably the strongest scene in the movie, and then too, as many others have noted, the on-screen romance in the new movie is better than anything that's in the original trilogy.

Dan Slott saved us from bad Spidey stories
with "Brand New Day", his first arc as the writer
of Amazing Spider-Man.
I saw where one reviewers noted that the Spider-Man movie that she wanted to see was one in which Peter Parker and Mary Jane had gotten married, settled down, and were trying to raise a family in New York while he keeps working and being Spider-Man.  For what it's worth, that's the Spider-Man movie that I personally would like to see as well.  That, to me, was the best part of J. Michael Straczynski's run as the writer of ASM the comic.  He spent a Hell of a lot of time exploring that marriage, mining its potential and its problems, and I liked a goodly bit of that.  'Course, he then had to undo virtually his entire run with the "One More Day" storyarc, but I'm convinced that that's Bendis's fault more than it's Stracynski's or even Marvel editorial's.

Anyway, I'm not sure what's next for Spider-Man in the movies, but I'm down for some more of what we got in this latest movie.  I liked it quite a lot.

* * *
The San Diego Comic Con took place over the last week or so, and during the show, Marvel announced that they're gonna make a new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.  Which is weird if you ask me.  I mean, I'm a pretty big nerd, and even I've never been a fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy, so...  these guys are gonna successfully carry a major movie?

Well.  I suppose anything is possible.

Anyway, I downloaded a bunch of the newest Guardians series to my phone this week and read a goodly bit of it in the odd moments out on the road.  And I liked it.  It was really, really cool.  There aren't enough sci fi comics out there, but Guardians is a good one, and it's decidedly weird, and that's awesome.  But I'm still not convinced that this is a franchise that can carry a movie successfully, especially since the Guardians haven't even successfully carried their own series in recent years.  The latest series was cancelled last year, presumably due to low sales.

That said, I think it's safe to say that I'm looking forward to seeing the new movie.  I just hope it's as awesome as the now cancelled comic proved to be.

* * *
Col. Carol Danvers is the new
Captain Marvel.
Still on comics, the new Captain Marvel #1 came out this week.  Emma and I both liked it, but it was really more of a set-up issue than the beginning of an actual story.  Still, it was cool, and the art was good but a little rougher than I'd have thought considering the polish of that first cover.  But very nice.

For what it's worth, I like the new costume, but it does make Ms. Danvers a bit bootylicious.  I mean, baby got back, you know what I'm sayin'?  There are spots in this issue where she's almost ghetto-fabulous.  That is nevertheless quite an improvement over the old costume.

* * *
Finally, I got out on my bike Saturday for about 45-minutes.  That's about all I had time for, but it was nice.

If you're wondering, I meant to get this particular piece out on Saturday, but it just didn't happen.  So I'm writing it Sunday night for Monday.  

Have I mentioned that I'm ready to get my life back?  The money's good, but at this point, it's a LOT of work.  But I suppose I shouldn't complain.  Least I have a job, and it pays the bills.  It could be a Hell of a lot worse.

Hope you have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big Ms./Captain Marvel fan so I got this book as well as Avenging Spiderman the week before (starring Carol) and there were a few clunky moments for me, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

    I hate to say it, but I'm still a huge fan of the old, black costume. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, there's sexy and then there's crass. And the old black costume was crass. That can be fun, but let's face it, you wouldn't have wanted your daughter to dress like that for Halloween. From that standpoint at least, the new costume is a smashing success--at least to me.

    ReplyDelete