Monday, December 24, 2012

2012 Christmas Letter

Dear Friends and Family,

I hope this note finds you happy and in good health.  2012 was an exciting, happy, storm-filled year for our little family, but we survived and even thrived, and as we look forward to 2013, I can't help but feel that great things are right around the corner.  I hope that's true for you as well.

For me, 2012 started normally enough.  I continued to work in the City as an engineer, signed up to coach the new triathlon club at the local YMCA, and ran a few races, and in May, Sally and I took the girls on vacation to Washington, DC.  We saw the Smithsonian and the National Gallery and a bunch of the monuments, and then we spent some time at my father’s grave at Arlington on Memorial Day.  And then things got interesting.  As the heat of summer hit the City, contract negotiations between my company and its labor union broke down, and I soon found running a crew of non-union contractors up in Westchester County in lieu of the company’s regular workforce.  Needless to say, the next few weeks got a bit tense.  And then, as if that weren’t enough, Hurricane Sandy slammed the City in late October, and as you might expect, pretty soon I was back up in Westchester again, this time helping with storm recovery.  All in all, it was a super-busy year, but I took a week's vacation heading into Thanksgiving, and as I'm sure you can imagine, I'm excited for the Holidays.  Frankly I’m ready for a return to normalcy.

Sally, meanwhile, has been at least as busy as I have.  She continues to translate for Birth-to-Three here in Connecticut and contribute to the local PTSA and Student Literacy Council and run our local Girl Scout Troop, and this year, she also became a sales associate for Arbonne.  And if that’s not enough, she’s also scheduled to resume her introductory art classes for children early in 2013, and oh by the way, she’s also a full-time mother and homemaker.  But I remain the most proud of Sally because amidst all of that, she still manages to find time to be an athlete.  Sally and I ran several races together this year, and she won her age group twice.  I’ve been proud of Sally many times in our marriage, but I think that first age group win was the most proud I’ve ever seen her be of herself.  Watching that was pretty awesome.

Hannah and Emma continue to be students and artists and gymnasts, but I think 2012 may well go down as the year that Hannah really committed to becoming a singer.  After her performance in last year’s school talent show, it was clear that we needed to get Hannah into actual singing lessons, and now, not quite six months on, we’ve begun to see her learn the drive and discipline that only commitment to achieve a specific goal can develop.  Hannah’s only in 4th grade, but I couldn’t be prouder of her.  She’s trying out for the school play, and while I don’t know what’s going to happen, I do know that she’s made it through several sets of call-backs, and now she’s up for a major part.  Regardless of how that turns out, I’m satisfied that she’s learned that she’s going to have to work to get the things that she wants in this life, and that’s a lesson that, frankly, I’m happy for her to have under her belt.  Emma, meanwhile, is our resident soccer player, comic book fan, and all-around geek-in-training.  She’s a happy kid who loves to sing and dance and read and watch TV with her daddy, and those are all great things for her to be.

So that’s us in 2012.  As we look forward to the New Year, I can’t help but wonder what new adventures and challenges await.  This year has been a great year for us, and God willing, next year will be, too.

Hopefully that’ll be true for you as well.

Sally, Hannah, Emma, & Dixie posed for some pics last week
when we went to get our Christmas tree.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

With Love,
Dan, Sally, Hannah, & Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment