#AsForDynamite: Pushing the Boundaries

After watching Will Osprey's match against Kyle Fletcher a few weeks ago, the guys are Wrestletalk said something to the effect those two guys had pushed the boundaries of what's possible in pro-wrestling in 2024 .  For what it's worth, this is what I personally like most about AEW. They not presenting the same old staid, expected crap. They are at least trying to take the art form in a new direction. We've seen this a ton lately. Whether it's Osprey just doing what he does, or Swerve cutting an extremely uncomfortable promo over another man's child. Hangman using that angle to fuel a moment in which he drinks Swerve's blood. Hell, even something as straightforward as MJF and Adam Cole building the tired, "Can they coexist?" trope into a poignant story of loneliness and male friendship. We're not seeing this kind of stuff anywhere else.

GI Joe: Retaliation

The Now Playing Podcast reviewed the first GI Joe movie this week, and in light of their discussion--and my own enjoyment of that first film--I suddenly find myself excited for this weekend's release of GI Joe: Retaliation.


Of course, my favorite part of the first movie was Rachel Nichols as Scarlet (and specifically the way that the first movie kept using her cleavage as almost its own character for what were obviously gratuitous reasons), and she's not even supposed to be in the new film, but whatever.  I watched the Conan movie almost exclusively because of Nichols, and that's two hours of my life that I'll never get back, so who knows what that proves?  I still like Rachel Nichols, but probably not enough to go see a whole movie again because of her.


Anyway, according to the early buzz, the new movie hews closely to the old G.I. Joe comics from Marvel back in the 1980s.  Given the success of The Avengers, that's probably a solid marketing choice, but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I was some huge fan of the 80s comic version of the Joes.  I just wanna see a decent movie, and if this one has both The Rock and Bruce Willis, well, here's hoping.

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to this movie too! The last movie was only made barely passable with uber hot Nichols and Miller. Is Sienna Miller back this time? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. But I don't think so because the reviews I read implied that virtually the entire cast from the first movie is killed in the opening sequence. But it's hard for me to see how you can have a GI Joe movie without The Baroness.

      Delete

Post a Comment