Monday, March 11, 2013

Triathlon Training Log: 3/4 to 3/10 (Rest Week)

This week was a Rest Week, though it really started on Sunday last week.  So I did manage to get in one real swim workout.

Swim
We had Tri Club practice Wednesday night, and there were two potential new recruits there.  Jay is a former D-1 college runner, and although he complained of his swimming, in all honesty, I thought he swam pretty well.  I can't remember the other guy's name, but he was doing 3-minute intervals on the treadmill, and he looked like he was pretty talented.

I mention all of that because Wednesday night's swim wasn't really worth mentioning.  I did 200 Swim-Kick-IM-Pull-Swim (200 SKIPS), for a total of 1000 yards, and then I did a 50 warm down.

Sunday's swim was a little better.  I'd had three full days off during the week, thanks largely to the crappy weather we had in CT/NY, so by the time the weekend rolled around, I was itching to do something, rest week or no.  I wound up going kind of long on Sunday, trying to do some mid-distance aerobic pace work.
  • 5 x 100 @ 1:30 warm-up
  • 8 x 200 @ 2:55 aerobic.  I tried to hold 1:15/100 on these--and succeeded!
  • 6 x 60 kick @ 1:00 (2 x fly / breast / free)
  • 5 x 100 pull @ 1:30
  • 50 easy
  • 6 x 50 @ :50 (3 x hard/easy)
  • 50 warm down
It was good to hold 1:15/100 for a full 1600 yards.  Granted, it was an easy interval for main set work, but still...  That's not a bad pace.  Only thing was that by the end of it, my sense of equilibrium was compromised.  I literally felt like I was swimming on slanted water.  Weird sensation, that.

Swimming Total: 2 workouts (1050, 3300); 43.5 pts


Bike
I rode my regular commute twice.  Then it snowed on Wednesday, and that pretty much put an end to that.  It was just as well given that this was a rest week, but it was still aggravating to have to take the subway to work three times in a single week.

Biking Total: 2 x commute ride (22.8 miles); 22.8 pts


Run
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were all busts.  We met for Tri Club practice on Sunday, and I really wanted to run long.  Ben needed to run 45 minutes for his Half Ironman plan, so I headed out with him and Steve, and then when they turned around, I tacked on another ten minutes or so.  I had to force myself to slow down several times, especially on the back half of the run, but that was what I needed, and I felt like I got a lot out of it.

Running Total: 1 x long(ish) slow run (6.4 miles); 6.4 pts

Training Total: 92.1 pts


Final Thoughts
Not a bad week, and I feel like I got in some rest.  It was also nice to get in a longer run and a nice, long swim.  One of the ongoing challenges in my triathlon life is finding the time to squeeze real distance training into my weekly schedule.  6.4 miles is a decent start to that, and I think 3300 yards swimming is pretty good, but in general, I know I will need to go longer before summer rolls around.  

No comments:

Post a Comment