Skip to main content

Saturday Morning Swim: Ugly

It wasn't my intention to write about this, but this morning's swim was such an ugly slog that it feels like it's left a mark.  If you've ever had one of those days when you feel like you're swimming in jello, when your goggles fog, and the world closes in to just the two feet to your immediate front and the pain you feel in your chest and shoulders, well...  That was me today.

Swimming this morning was like a long, slow uphill march through a haze of fog and pain, and even the echo of the effort I left in the pool feels like a part of my soul lost forever.

I haven't felt like that in a long, long time.

It wasn't my plan to do a workout that was gonna leave me feeling like that today.  It's just that this has been a Hell of a long week, and when I hit the water this morning, I knew I didn't have my best stuff.  But I also knew what goals I'd set for this morning's workout, so what are you gonna do?  The only thing you can do on those kinds of days is to put your head down and work through it as best you can, holding your form together as much as possible.

Truth is, I think we get the most training effect on the hard days.  That said, pushing through on a day like this has left me feeling mentally and emotionally exhausted and physically sore.  I hate to be like that, but that's the way it is.

So.  I know you're wondering what the workout was.  Well, here you go:

200 SKIPS warm-up (200 x Swim/Kick/IM/Pull/Swim)
2 x 300 free (aerobic) @ 4:15
3 x 200 free (aerobic @ 2:55
4 x 100 free (aerobic) @ 1:30
 --- All of that sucked hard.
8 x 50 kick, alternating fly/free @ 1:05
50 easy
2 x 50 fly (sprint) @ 1:30
 --- That wasn't too bad.  I went about :32.5 & :33.0.
300 pull
50 warm down
Total: 3500 yards

And now I feel like ten miles of bad road.  Hopefully  it'll pass, but right this instant, I'm wondering if it's too early to have a beer.  I could certainly use one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

This is a short adventure I wrote for my kids and a few of their friends last weekend.  We wound up with a party of seven 1st level characters, including Hannah playing Sneakatara Boatman as a warlock of Loki , Emma playing a drow paladin of Hades named Victoria , and my wife Sally playing Maleeka , a mute half-orc barbarian. We had a total of five kids under age 12, and they all had a good time. This adventure is set in Breakwater Bay , a small fishing village on the Isle de Mont Deserette along the northen frontier in the Wanderhaven setting.  That said, you shouldn't have any trouble transporting it into a different setting if that better suits your game.

Mermaids Revisited: A PC Playable Race for D&D’s 5th Edition (Ver. 2.0)

We've been using these rules in our home game for months, but I've only just gotten around to writing them up for you. We see that you've been reading our original Mermaid article , so hopefully you'll like the revision. Mermaids from ancient myth...

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs

My daughter Hannah goes to an agricultural high school in Trumbull, and what with COVID-19 having shut down the planet, we’re currently hosting her class’s guinea pigs.  It turns out that they make good pets.  They’ve become family favorites, which means that it’s now time to figure out how to work them into our home Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Yours truly with Giblet, the Lord of Guinea Pigs. If you've never been around guinea pigs, then you might not realize how loud and distracting they can be.  My base theory is that they're mostly useless in combat save for this ability to serve as a distraction.  However, there are any number of ways that they might work in-game beyond simple combat.  Thinking through some of that has been an interesting exercise.