Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Marvel Pictures Pics

Saw this on Newsrama on my way home and figured I'd share: Marvel released some stills of its 2014 movie slate today.  Here's the one from the Guardians of the Galaxy:

Mugshot-style lineup from the forthcoming Guardians of the Galaxy.
"Brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan [the Accuser]..."  

Paraphrasing the rest: the orb appears to be another piece of the Infinty Gauntlet, and Quill has to team up with a band of misfits, shown above, to keep the galaxy safe.  Wackiness ensues, presumably involving the Kree and a bunch of other space-folk.


I bring it up because I'm becoming a little pessimistic about this Guardians thing.  I was, to say the very least, completely under-whelmed by the bit of the Guardians that we saw after Thor: The Dark World, and now we get this shot, and it's like... meh?  

I mean, I hate to be like that, but really, Batista looks old (huge, but still...), Groot looks like a cadaver wearing khaki slacks, and Saldana and Pratt both just look like they're just standing there.  I grant you that Rocket Racoon looks good.  

This is the big teaser image?

Here's the thing.  I loved, loved, loved the Dan Abnett/Andy Lanning Guardians comic.  This movie is taken from that source material, so how could I not be excited?  Plus, the idea is so wacky and off-the-wall, I mean, what's not to love?  How could they possibly screw up a movie about a machinge gun toting racoon and a talking tree?  But then, you step away from it for a minute, and the answer is, very easily.

So yeah, now I'm concerned.  Guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment