Thursday, October 8, 2015

D&D: The Five Laws of Ares

I don't know what to do with this one.  It came to me as a brainstorm earlier in the week, and at first I thought it was the basis for an article about an order of Sentralian paladins in the Wanderhaven Campaign Setting.  But I've not been able to think of anything else to go into the article, and anyway, building a militant religious order around the god of war seems, well, obvious.

I reaglized yesterday that the reason Mars/Ares have been on my mind so much lately is that I'm reading The Martian, and all the missions are all "Ares" missions.  Get it?  

If you're wondering, I quite like the book.  It's got quite a bit more science in it than does the movie, and it does a better job with Watney's loneliness.  I liked the movie, too, don't get me wrong, but the book is a terrific read even after knowing how it ends, and that's saying something.

Anyway, I still have the Five Laws of Ares sitting in my notebook, and like I said, I'm not sure what to do with them.  For the time being, I'm dumping them here and will link them through to the archive that will (eventually) serve as the basis for the Wanderhaven Campaign Guide.  If you like them and can think of any way to use them constructively, please let me know.  I spent a good two hours trying to figure out what a paladin of Ares would think of as his/her primary virtues and eventually settled on something I thought of as a more draconian, more self-justifying version of West Point's Honor Code and basic ethos.  Take that for what it's worth.

The Five Laws of Ares

1.  Might makes right.

2.  Mankind has three great virtues: Duty, Order, and Service.  
-- Duty is the highest calling.
-- Order is the highest state of Man.
-- Service to one's lord is service to the gods themselves.

3.  Never wish for justice.  Follow the law and serve, or draw the sword and force change. 

4.  Rebellion is sin.  Revolution is service.

5.  Civilization is the future of humanity.  Thus is the advancement of civilization mankind's greatest duty.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment