Monday, January 4, 2016

Training Log: Dec. 28th to Jan. 3rd (Week 1)

It's a new year, and I'm trying to set myself up to make some progress.

I'm not sure what I'm doing, exactly, in terms of races.  I still have to set a few goals.  However, in terms of working out, I'm hoping to get into the gym twice per week, swim twice per week, and run twice per week.  I don't know that this will prepare me to do anything in particular, but it seems like a decent way to work, and I've been enjoying being back in the gym.  I've also been teaching my daughter how to lift weights, and that's been both fun and rewarding.

We'll see how it goes.


Swim
With both Monday and Friday off this week, it was easy to get to the pool.  I put in 2850 on Monday, and I don't even remember what I did, save that I did 10 x 200 @ 2:55.  That's a simple bulk repetition set, but it takes a little self discipline to do it correctly.

Friday was New Year's Day.  Some of my friends did 100 x 100 on various (fairly easy) intervals, but I am nowhere near ready for that.  Instead, I did:
 -- 20 x 100 @ 1:25 swim (aerobic pace)
 -- 16 x 100 pull @ 1:25 (holding under 1:20)
 -- 50 warm down

I lifted weights Sunday and then closed out the week with another little swim:
 -- 5 x 100 @ 1:30 (warm up)
 -- 200 kick
 -- 1000 tempo (13:20, or 1:20/100)
 -- 100 kick
 -- 200 easy

Swimming Total: 3 x swim workouts (2850, 3650, 2000); 85 pts


Cycling
I rode my regular commute once.  No big deal.

Cycling Total: 1 x commute ride (10.7 miles); 10.7 pts


Running
I'd like to run twice per week, but so far I've only been running very occasionally.  After the long(ish) swim on Friday, I decided to go for an easy half-hour run on Saturday morning, and as I usually do, I really enjoyed it.

I should run more.  I tell myself that every time.  Maybe I should enter a half-marathon?  I'm thinking about it.

Running Total: 1 x run (3.25 miles); 13 pts

Aerobic Point Total: 108.7 pts


Weight Training
I worked chest, shoulders, and triceps Monday after swimming and back and biceps before swimming Sunday, and in both cases, that combination worked well.

The trick is getting it all in without wasting time.  I don't generally stand around.  I super-set pretty much everything, alternating an upper-body set with a core or lower body set.  For example, I'll do a set of flat bench with dumbbells and then a set of abs and then go back for another set of dumbbells, alternating until I've got three sets of each.  So far, so good, but I'm obviously not trying to put on a lot of weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment