Monday, November 4, 2013

Weekend Update (11/4/2013)

Before we get started today, you might've noticed that the name of the blog has changed.  Sally asked me last week what I thought of the idea of her posting some recipes and other healthy living-type stuff here, and I told her that I thought it would be great.  I don't know how often she's gonna get to post, but I'm happy to share my space with her and look forward to seeing what she has to offer.

With that in mind, I'll be changing some stuff around in the next few weeks to make it less my blog and more our blog, but for the time being, she's at least got Editorial priviledges and can post if she feels the need.

Looking back, it was a pretty good weekend.  Busy for the most part, but that's how life is.  We had a lot of fun, too, and really, that's all I can ask.

We started Friday watching WWE Smackdown, and as much as I don't want to make this a blog about pro-wrestling, I've got to admit that Smackdown entertained.  The show started with John Cena cutting another of his promos, this time against the Real Americans, and for once, I thought he was pretty good.  But then Damien Sandow came out and started woofing, and in as much as I guess the WWE brass was trying to capitalize on the momentum from the match that he had with Cena last week, I personally didn't think it worked.  I mean, we already saw Cena beat the guy with literally one hand tied behind his back, so how much of a threat can Sandow really be at this point?  Sometimes, you get a moment, and if the moment is missed, it's gone, and it won't come back.  Take that for what it's

Damien Sandow makes that bathrobe look good.
Picture via Wikimedia Commons.
Beyond that, I though that the Divas match was entertaining, and when I say that, I want you to keep in mind that I have two girls at home.  So for us, the Divas division is an outsized part of the total pro-wrestling experience.  That said, we've not thought much of the division outside of A.J. Lee until now, but I personally thought that the Bellas looked much better in the ring this week than they had previously, so who knows?  Maybe there's hope there for something going forward.

Sally and I ran together Saturday morning.  I've been trying to get three runs in per week, but between sinus infections, my schedule, and whatever else has been going on, it just hasn't happened.  And frankly, after Saturday's run I feel like I am way off my game.  We only ran for half an hour, but it was an ugly half hour, to the point where I'm starting to think that I need to train now--hard--just to be ready for real training once triathlon season rolls around next year.

I then went to the library and to the comic shop Saturday afternoon and to the bike shop after that.  Between flats and a bunch of hard bumps knocking my rear wheel out of true, my foldie hasn't been running real well, but at long last, I think I've finally got it all fixed.  You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to fix that stuff, but I've got to be around to change the flats and do the rest of it, and I haven't been, so...

I want to believe that the lack of riding has negatively impacted my running.  Certainly, I hope that that's true.  Otherwise, I have got one Hell of a lot of training to do to get myself back into some kind of physical shape, and that thought is scary.

Superior Spider-Man #20 was one of
the comics I read Sunday morning.
We took the Girl Scout troop out to camp Saturday night, and I gave them an impromptu class on building a fire.  The girls seemed to enjoy it, but it seemed like a lot of the girls hadn't ever been camping before, and several of them were scared of the fire.  I suppose that's healthy, but it was a little surprising.  Regardless, they seemed to have a good time out there, and once we had the fire build, we sat nearby and ate outside under the stars.  Then they made s'mores, and I left shortly thereafter.

That left me by myself Sunday morning, and while I'd like to tell you that I made good use of the time, reality is that I was pretty lazy.  I did eventually manage to get something like 1700 words written today, but only about half of them were this morning.  The rest I wrote after the Titans game ended in the afternoon.

If you didn't catch it, the Titans game was pretty exciting.  The Titans played the Jeff Fisher-led Rams, and despite playing terribly during the first half, they kept it tied going into halftime, and then ran the ball well in the second half.  Both teams wound up rushing for more than 150 yards total, but the Titans made a few more plays in the second half and wound up winning 28-21.

And that was pretty much how my weekend went.  How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment