Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday in Review: A Few Quick Notes

More from my Twitter feed.  Wasn't planning to do this today, but I've got a breakdown of the NY Giants schedule coming out tomorrow, and Avengers: Age of Ultron releases Friday, so some of this is timely to other stuff that's happening on the blog.

You probably look at the blog like a salad bar--take what you want, leave the rest.  That's fine, but it's not the way that I look at it.  I think of it as a single, coherent work with plotlines.  So when I see something that makes sense in context with other stuff that's happening or that's already happened, it makes sense to stick into one of these round-up columns.


I've not read through the list yet, but I'm pleased to see it.  There are a lot of Avengers stories out there, and like the Forgotten Realms, not all of them are equally good.  I might grab a few of the better ones that I've not read on Comixology this week and read them during my commute.

EDIT: Now that I've read this list, there are two very notable stories missing.  First, it needs the original West Coast Avengers miniseries, which is excellent.  Also: The Ultimates.  That's a bad omission.

***

The biggest issue is the offensive line.  Eli Manning is a mediocre quarterback when he doesn't have good protection and a world-beater when he does.  If they can (finally) get their O-Line working, it should be a pretty good year.

***
"[T]he publishing industry is in the doldrums, yet the novel shows few signs of digging into its past and resurrecting the techniques that drove fans wild and juiced sales figures. The novel is now decidedly a single object, a mass entity packaged and moved as a whole. That’s not, of course, a bad thing, but it does create a barrier to entry that the publishing world can’t seem to overcome. Meanwhile, consumers gladly gobble up other media in segments — whether it’s a “Walking Dead” episode, a series of Karl Ove Knausgaard ’s travelogues or a public-radio show (it’s called “Serial” for a reason, people) — so there’s reason to believe they would do the same with fiction. What the novel needs again is tension. And the best source for that tension is serialization."

Most of my work is serialized, and I've been considering taking it to Patreon and putting it out there in the original (serialized) format in which it was written for my kids.  Maybe that would drum up a little more interest.  I haven't investigated the mechanics of Patreon, and there hardly seems to be a rush about it, but I've been wondering for a while if some kind of social/crowd-fudning mechanic wouldn't help me reach more readers.  

$2.99 doesn't strike me as a particularly high price point for a novel, even an e-novel, but as it is, folks aren't taking a chance on my work the way I'd hoped--regardless of how much readership has grown on the blog.  A million people have read "The Mystery of Malvern Manor", but very, few have gone on to investigate my other, non-D&D work, and that's frustrating in the extreme.  What's worse is that it's not about the money for me.  I'd much rather just find new readers, but if you don't charge something, people will think inherently that your work's not worth anything.  That' s a fate worse than obscurity.

Anybody reading this?  Have any thoughts on the matter?

***

Probably.  Ugh, what a nightmare.  First "Army West Point" and now this.

Sadly, we are not living in the golden age of Army Athletics.

No comments:

Post a Comment