D&D: Fan Mail

On behalf of myself and my PCs I would like to thank you for these great storys. I have DMed on and off for 4 years but only recently started with 5th ed. I was also hoping you would know any more storys like these. Regardless, thank you for your work.

 -- From Lukethanuke, commenting on "D&D: Journey through Crocodile Crossroads".

My response to Luke's question got so long that I decided to make it an actual post rather leaving it as a comment that no one but Luke was likely to see.

Luke,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I'm really glad that you've liked my stuff and in particular that you liked "Crocodile Crossroads."  That one hasn't gotten the same kind of play on social media that "Malvern Manor" has gotten, but at my table, the actual encounter designs worked quite a bit better.  Alas, things that I like always seem to go unappreciated by most of my audience.

Anyway, the short answer is that more is coming, but that these stories take some time.  As you may have noticed, I have lots and lots of other things that I also write about.

The Fire-Breathing Elephant, courtesy of my daughter Emma.
My next adventure is called "The Fire Breathing Elephant Expedition."  It's a little longer, and it gets into a little of the politics of the city of Wanderhaven and the elves of the Fire Islands.  It also contains an actual dungeon crawl, which is why I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it.  I posted some of the early bits as blog posts a while back, and you can read through those if you really want to.  The encounters are all sitting on an Excel spreadsheet, unfortunately.

I also have a piece coming out from ENWorld's En5ider in a few weeks called "The Mystery of Mordecai's Monster".  I pitched the story as an expansion of "Malvern Manor", but beyond having the same basic high concept (i.e. the baron's son is missing), it's completely new.  Folks are going to really, really like that one, and on a personal note, it was both extremely weird and rewarding to work with an editor for once.

Folks have also started asking for a Wanderhaven Sourcebook.  That's become a back-burner project, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.  The outline's been sitting in the Notes App of my iPhone for a couple of years now.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my fiction, most of which is set in Wanderhaven.  My book started as a series of short stories I wrote for my kids based on a few of our D&D adventures, and I continue to think that D&D fans will enjoy them.  It's still my writing, and it's still D&D; it's just D&D fiction (ala the Forgotten Realms novels) rather than being an actual, pre-generated adventure.  There is a ton of free fiction on my Patreon page, but if you ask me, it's worth the $2.99 to get the complete book for the Kindle or Kindle App.  Multiple folks have told me that trying to read the PDF versions on a tablet can be a pain in the ass, and I have to say that I agree, unfortunately.

Having said all of that, what would you like to see?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs