4-Star Swimming Workout

Last night's workout was a four-star affair not because it was so super-awesomely creative but because I just felt really good in the water.  Great days like that are too common to remark upon when you're a teenager, but at forty-three, they've become rare and precious.


I was on point last night, putting in 3800 yards in exactly one hour.  It helped that the water at the YMCA was a little cooler than it has been and also that I have a new suit with noticeably less drag.  I'd put up a picture of it, but honestly, it's so tight as to be nearly obscene.

Warm-Up
5 x 100 @ 1:30 easy
200 kick
10 x 50 @ :45 breathing every third

Main Set
16 x 100 every 4th 100 fast
 -- 8 @ 1:25
 -- Rest 1:00
 -- 8 @ 1:30

200 kick

3 x 200 pull @ 2:50

200 easy warm down

Total: 3800 yards

I knew I was on a good night during the 10 x 50 warm up.  I was holding about :36 per 50 just effortlessly.  I felt long and very smooth, even with the YMCA team kids doing relay races in the next two lanes over.

I held about 1:20/100 during the Main Set with fast intervals at 1:06, 1:10, 1:08, and 1:07.  That was outstanding.  1:06 for a 100 free from a push in practice is about as fast as I've been since the Academy.  I'm sure I could get under 1:00 from a dive, but I don't think I have a ton more untapped high-end speed.  1:06 from a push is about as good as it gets.

After practice, the YMCA coach told me that he thought I should sign up for some races, but I have to say that I don't really want to.  I just don't care about going to meets anymore, nor do I feel like I need more ribbons or trophies.  People keep asking me, but it's just not at the top of my priority list.  I do enjoy feeling good in the water, though.  That remains as awesome as ever.

If you're wondering, I'm stiff and a little sore today.  Buoyed by a sense of reflected glory, however, I think I'll make it.

Comments

  1. Great workout! You're right that those great feeling days are few and far between once over 40. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I've been meaning to text you about this one. And yeah, it was good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs