Thursday, March 28, 2024

Twitter Threads: My Theory of Pro-Wrestling Fandom

Friends, this should be the last of the Twitter Threads Project -- at least for right now.

Friends, I’m developing this theory of pro-wrestling fans, & since we’re heading into a specifically *on point* edition of #AEWCollision, I’d like to get some feedback on my theory.

#AEW #WWE #AEWDynamite #AEWRampage

Theory: people who like “sports-based” pro-wrestling tend to be real-life athletes — or at least fans of a wide range of traditional sports. 

By comparison, people who prefer “soap opera” pro-wrestling don’t watch much sports. They prefer network TV or whatever.

I started thinking about it this week when a guy on Twitter said, essentially, “What’s the story?” between Bryan Danielson & Will Osprey. As if two guys competing to see who’s The Best in the World isn’t a reason for a wrestling match.

Even in this modern age of engagement rage-farming, that take seemed *spectacularly* strange.

But it occurred to me that maybe the guy had just never competed in anything, & so basic physical/athletic competition didn’t mean anything to him. Like, basic sports psychology just didn’t speak to him at all.

So, #IWC, what say you? 

Unfortunately, I can’t think of a way to make this a poll, so I’m just asking the audience.


* * *

If you're wondering, this thread got me started with the Twitter Threads Project. It just took me a week to get this project executed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment