Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Twitter Threads: Labeling My Wine Shipment

I don't know if Twitter was ever a great place for discussion, but there was a time when it was an at least somewhat useful way to tell people about whatever nonsense was going on in my head. Alas, the current algorithm really only incentivizes rage-baiting engagement farming. 

This has impacted my personal work in two ways. First, fewer folks are on Twitter generally, so the audience is smaller overall. Second, if one does not participate in rage-baiting engagement farming, it's becoming damnably hard to show up via the algorithm at all.

Granted, I've only ever wanted to write whatever's on my mind for whoever cares to see it. However, even that requires a platform. At the same time, I've thought for a while that I should really use this platform more and those platforms less. And yet, for convenience sake, so much nonsense winds up over there while *my* actual blog sites largely empty.

So.

This is the first of a series of recent random thoughts that I initially dropped on Twitter -- to zero engagement. They may also get zero engagement here, but this, at least, is *my* actual platform.

I want you guys to appreciate the time & effort it took to label yesterday’s wine shipment with the little shelf-talkers the shipper included in the box.

They also included a one-page pamphlet on the Rioja region of Spain. And friends, now I feel stupid because I did not even know that Rioja is a *place* & not a varietal.

Since you asked, Americans sell wine by type, i.e. Chardonnay. Because we like to categorize things.

Europeans sell wine by region. They care more about who made it than about what kind of grapes got used.

Since Spain is in Europe, obviously Rioja is a PLACE.

In answer to your follow-up question, yes, the European system IS clearly superior. 

The American focus on specific varietals regardless of quality is stupid. European willingness to blend varietals usually works much better.

Subject to your questions, this concludes my briefing.

2 comments:

  1. I rarely ever drank wine and now I can't drink any alcohol. Anyway, you might have more luck on BlueSky than "X." It's more like old Twitter though since they opened it to everyone there probably will be more trolls and spammers leaking in. I'm sure you could find some wine accounts to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm on Bluesky. Every time I give it a try, tho, the place is basically dead.

      I did see that they recently -- finally -- implemented #Hastags, so maybe I could at least see who else is on their talking about Army and/or college sports.

      Delete