Monday, February 13, 2012

Beer Review: Sierra Nevada’s 2011 Celebration Fresh Hop Ale

Last week I said that I wanted to review Sierra Nevada’s Ruthless Rye, but I didn’t feel like I knew how to do a beer review.  So I posted a link to Beer Geek Nation’s review of that same beer, and in the past week, I’ve been studying up on beer reviews.  So.  I don’t know that I’m now an expert on beer or anything, but I think I’m ready to give this reviewing thing a try.  Here goes.

This week’s beer is Sierra Nevada’s 2011 Celebration Fresh Hop Ale.  It’s a 6.8% alcohol by volume beer that the label describes thusly:

Celebration Ale is a special ale for the holidays.  Featuring the first hops of the growing season, this pioneering IPA is  full of complex flavors and aromas from the generous use of whole cone American hops.



Appearance
Celebration is red-gold and maybe a little murky.  Not opaque but far from clear.  It’s translucent, like a piece of cut amber or gold-colored quartz.  As I look, I can see that there’s plenty of sediment floating around in there, along with bunches of tiny carbonation bubbles. 


I poured this beer carefully at a forty-five degree angle and still came away with about an inch of slightly off white foam head.

Aroma
I put my nose down, and right off the bat, there are the fresh hops.  Very fresh, reminiscent of freshly cut grass, but not at all piney.  Maybe a hint of citrus and/or grapefruit and something else, something heavier.  My wife Sally says this is a bit fruity, like a raspberry, but I didn’t get that.  Still it is a complex aroma, and it offers quite a bit to get excited about.

Taste
I put glass to lips, and the foam tickles my mustache.  The taste off the top is very light malt with lots of carbonation.  Strongly bitter, as you’d expect with all those hops, with a light bitter aftertaste.  And again, the taste is very tasty, very fresh. 



With the carbonation, this is not an overly smooth beer.  It demands to be sipped and savored, enjoyed slowly and on its own terms.  This is not a beer that I think you’d accidentally chug down, but it’s still very nice, especially as an afternoon refreshment after a hard day’s work out or something like that.  Still, it’s fairly light.  Not heavy like a darker beer would be despite the opacity.  It’s a very nice beer, and I’m enjoying it.  I can imagine putting down a few of these after a long bike ride and feeling fine afterwards.  The quality and craftsmanship are evident here.  Whoever made this beer took their time and put their soul into it.  That alone is reason enough to take it slow and easy and to enjoy every sip.
 
Conclusion
I don’t know how to give Sierra Nevada’s Celebration a letter grade, but I will say that I really like it.  I tend to drink beer on the weekends after I work out, and this beer is perfect for that.  It’s not heavy or overwhelming in any way, but it’s well-carbonated and hoppy, light and crisp and fresh.  I recommend it strongly to athletes looking for some delicious post-race calories.  It’s not going to fill you up or make you feel sluggish, but this is a nice beer, especially for folks who like hops and fresh fruits and vegetables.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing says "Happy Monday" like your morning beer to start the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess this would make more sense on a Friday. But I put it together yesterday afternoon... and had fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble with any review for ale it makes me thirsty. Thanks Dan for the entertainment and thirst you have provided to me.

    ReplyDelete