Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tri Update: Coaching and a forceful reminder that Nutrition is the Fourth Discipline

Alright, first thing's first.  I just signed the paperwork, and now I am officially the coach of the new Woodruff Family YMCA Triathlon Club.


Like the sign says, our first meeting is a week from Monday, but that'll just be an organizational-type "getting to know you" meeting.  After that, I'm planning to swim on Wednesday nights and get together for some kind of run/ride/brick thing on Saturday mornings.  The plan is gonna kind of depend on the fitness level of the folks who show up, but I'm still excited and can't wait to see how it goes.

With that out of the way, I'll confess that I was rather forcibly reminded that nutrition is the fourth discipline of triathlon this morning.  You may remember from yesterday's post that I'd planned to ride this morning, but as it happened, I didn't have a chance to go get my bike until just this afternoon, meaning that I had little choice but to just head to Spin Class this morning.  And to be honest, Spin Class was awesome.  A lot of times, the Spin instructors like to do a lot of jumps and short interval sprints, but today was much more of a mid-distance-friendly affair, focused on nothing more complicated than heavy spinning.  

That was good.  

What was unfortunate was that I forgot to grab my Gatorade before heading out this morning.  And while I managed to buy a bottle of water from the girl at the front desk, mere water didn't help hold my blood sugar level up in the middle of a tough, hour-long workout, and given that I hadn't eaten much more than a banana this morning, that meant that my blood sugar actually bottomed out about half way through class today.

Ouch.  I survived, but running after class was definitely out, and in any event, by the time I got home, my head was spinning.

So.  Rookie mistake, but a painful one.  Let's not do that again, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment