Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Mad Science: Nothing but Tebow

So, truth is that my prayers were answered when Tim Tebow signed with the Jets.  I mean, I don’t root for the Jets or anything, and I haven’t since the Herm Edwards/Chad Pennington era, but I love a good media circus, and of course, the New York area tabloids are great for that.  Moreover, since he came to town, current Jets’ coach Rex Ryan has actively aided and abetted the media circus, to the point where he’s often more entertaining personally—in an unintentionally hilarious way—than the team is on the field.  Add in the fact that Tebow is himself a fully functional media circus all on his own, and what we have here is a recipe for an awesomely entertaining football season in New York—at least for Giant fans.  Hell, my favorite game of the entire year last year, at least during the regular season, was the Jets/Giants game, and that was beforeTebow parachuted into the picture.  Now?  I think most Giant fans are looking forward to entire season of schadenfraude on a heretofore unheard of scale.  Given the way last season ended, that’s an awful lot of friendly ribbing around the water cooler.

Jets fans, meanwhile, are left wondering what the Hell happened to their beloved hard-luck franchise.  Despite the fact that this thing with QB Mark Sanchez still looks more than a little unsettled, the team still gave the guy a pretty nice extension.  Well, maybe that was the best move after Peyton Manning turned them down.  A lot of Sanchez’s money is supposedly not well-guaranteed, and more to the point, it didn’t look like the Jets had much chance at getting anyone better this season—and probably next as well, baring catastrophe on the field.  They brought in Drew Stanton to back Sanchez up, and I think most fans were mollified.  After all, Stanton was a high draft pick himself, and in recent years, he’s played pretty well when given a chance.

So then… Tebow?  Despite what the team argues, they do not need him to run the Wildcat.  First off, they don’t run  it nearly as much as they used to, and even if they did, they already had a couple of guys on the roster who could run it.  Bottom line, I don’t think there’s an actual football need for the guy at any level.

But if football’s not the answer, what is?


Tebow is already selling a Hell of a lot of Jets jerseys and related Jets-type paraphernalia.  And bottom line, I think that the Jets like having that money-making presence on their team.


* * *
My daughter Hannah says that when she grows up, she wants to be a scientist who does science-y type things and casts spells.

Yes, that’s right.  I’m raising a young, girly-girl version of Doctor Doom.  Now all I need to do is find her some armor that flatters her figure and a pink cape.

* * *
The only other thing I’ve got this week is this: a piece from Yahoo about a new tourism experience in the UK—the Zombie Apocalypse!  Yes, now you too can experience the thrill and horror of humanity’s extinction at the hands of the undead.

You laugh, but a friend in my office is so excited about this that I think he might actually go over there and give this a try.  How do you like that?

* * *
And that’s about all I’ve got.  Don’t blame me!  It was a slow news week, and I’ve got a race coming up.  I’ll leave you with this, a piece of good running form.  Running is one of those sports where form and technique are under-appreciated, I think, so hopefully this'll help.


Have a good weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Good post on running btw. Good luck with your daughter...Dr. Hannah so to speak. :) If it works out well, you are retiring early!

    As for Tebow, I'm not a believer he can do anything besides sell jerseys. A lot of his "wins" were 50 minutes of crap football and 10 minutes of heroics. Having been screwed two years in a row by Denver running backs in my fantasy league, I know now with Manning there, there is no chance they will run.

    Good luck in the race tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric.

    And my point on Tebow was really just this: all he actually has to do to be successful is to sell jerseys. It's ultimately irrelevant how he plays. He's already made his money back investment-wise for the team, and bottom line, I think that's all they care about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tebow, he's a former Gator and that has a lot to do with it first off. Secondly, he's pretty handsome as men go so he's very easy to watch in his Jockey ads. As far as being easy to watch during a game - not quite so much. I was almost biting my acrylic nails off more than a few times, but seeing as how my fantasy team began with a dismal 0-6 run with Ben "Rapist-berger" (my hubby's suggestion not my pick) we picked up Tebow mid season and he won us 4 in a row. I like the fact that he's a big guy, can run in it, he's a lefty and somehow that's a cool thing, and he's humble in front of the cameras. I like the way he speaks to the reporters, not all the praise God stuff, but how he says that his job is to play football and he's trying the best he can with what he's got. His book was pretty good too, and not just for the pictures in the middle - although that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm AMAZED that you think Tebow is humble. Still, I'll admit that I'd rather see him win than Big Ben. Rothlesberger ought to be in prison if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete