Monday, April 23, 2012

Beer Review: Ithaca Beer's Flower Power I.P.A

I put in forty-four miles on the bike on Saturday and then ran a little more than seven miles this afternoon--I'm writing this on Sunday--and now it's time for a beer.  To be specific, the Ithaca Beer Company's Flower Power I.P.A.


Appearance
This is an awesomely funky bottle.  Straight out of the 70's.  Frankly, it looks like something Shaggy and Scooby would drink right after they bust the crooks who're trying to scare everybody away from the abandoned gold mine.


Pour it out, and this is a beautiful amber ale, translucent with just a bit of creamy white head.  Very nice.  And right now, I am seriously looking forward to drinking this thing up.


Aroma
A very fresh smelling beer.  The flowery hops jump right off the top, promising a beautifully clean and bitter experience.



Taste
Mmmm...  Now that's a nice beer.  As expected, a very clean taste.  Strong but not overwhelming hop presence, nicely balanced with a malty drinkability that's sometimes missing in the craft brew I.P.A.s.  I really dig it.  And right now, I'm too thirsty to say more.


Mmmmm...  Delicious!
Final Verdict
I've been wanting to sample some more local beers, and now I have.  The Flower Power I.P.A. is a fine example of the beauty of the craft beer movement.  It's a beautiful and beautifully balanced I.P.A. that's strong without going overboard and well-balanced for drinkability.  If you see this out in the stores, and you want to know what the fuss is about with all these crazy I.P.A.s, I strongly recommend picking it up.  It's a great beer and a great example of its style.  I'll definitely be buying more.

No comments:

Post a Comment