Fairfield Half-Marathon 2012 Race Review


As I noted over the weekend, the Fairfield Half-Marathon was Sunday, and at least for me, it was kind of a disaster.  With that in mind, I don’t really feel like doing a full Race Report.  But I always autopsy these races—good or bad—to try to figure out what lessons I can learn, and this particular race is no exception.  So this is more of a Race Review than anything, and with any luck, it’ll be a bit shorter than these things usually are.

The backstory here is that I’m a former Division 1 swimmer turned triathlete.  My wife Sally is a pure runner, and though she never competed back in school, she’s become talented enough lately that she’s often in a position to place—and sometimes even to win—her age group when we run smaller local races.  Last season I taught Sally to swim, and we did a couple of triathlons together.  Then we closed out the season with the Hartford Half Marathon in October and decided to focus the next season on running.  Given that Sally had just focused a season on my sport, I thought that seemed fair.

So far, so good.

With all of that said, the season itself has been kind of a wreck for me.  I got a flat during Brian’s Beachside Boogie, was less than a minute off of the lead for my age group at the only triathlon I did this season without even knowing it, and then tried to set myself up for the Fairfield Half, knowing that for personal and professional reasons, it was likely to be my last race of the season.

But. 

I had a pretty bad heat stroke back when I was in the Army, and I’ve struggled with the heat ever since.  In fact, during my heat stroke, my body temperature got up to 107-degrees, and it stayed there for damned-near two hours.  Fact is, I almost died.  I remember that the docs were vaguely surprised when I woke up that day, and it’s something of a miracle that I didn’t wake up with permanent brain or liver damage.  With that said, the event did permanently change my body chemistry a little.  It took me about eight months to fully recover from that injury, and I’ve never felt like I was the same guy, athletically speaking.

So bottom line, making my A-Race a half marathon at the end of June was something of a risk.  I knew that at the time.  However, it’s been more than ten years since my heat stroke, and I thought I could manage it.

In the event, I don’t think that was a correct assumption.

Leading up to the race, I ran a lot.  Not necessarily a lot of times per week, but I’d been putting in 10-mile-plus runs for at least a month before the race.  In addition, I’d been swimming once a week, and I ride part of my commute every day on my foldie.  If you read this space regularly, then you know that I feel like I was running like crap in the weeks before the half, but I’d been riding well and swimming well, and I don’t think the problem was my overall fitness.  Maybe that was wrong, but at this point, it’s a little hard to judge.

Anyway, we had ninety-plus degree heat the week before the race, and I rode in it twice and felt fine.  However, the weekend before the race, I put in my last long run, a twelve-miler, and felt like utter garbage.  Maybe I was over-trained at that point?  Maybe I needed a little more rest?  I don’t know.  Regardless, when we got to race day, I felt much worse running than I’d felt in the weeks prior, and that after doing very little for a full week.  Truth is, I don’t know how to explain it except to say that the race start was about an hour and a half later than I’d been running in the weeks prior, and as a consequence, it was much hotter outside.

Race Day and the Race
Sally and I hoped to get to the race at around seven or seven-fifteen.  However, there was a ton of traffic trying to get into Jennings Beach that morning, and we wound up getting there at about seven-fifty, for a race start at eight-thirty.  I had to rush the kids up to check-in, find Sally’s mom and drop off the kids, check us in, check our bags, wait in the line to pee, and basically run around like a maniac for thirty-five of the forty minutes we had pre-race.  That wasn’t good, but I got to the race’s start line with about five minutes to spare, and I stretched as best I could.  I only saw Sally long enough to hand her her race number and grab her bag so that I could check it.  We’d been arguing all morning—actually, that little fight was one of the worst we’ve ever had in ten years of marriage—so frankly, it was fine with me that I was on my own.  Still, when the race started, I was already sweating, and I would have been hard-pressed to give a good reason for even being there in the first place.

Given all of that, it’s maybe no surprise that I made it a little over an hour before I fell apart.  The weather had been predicted for the low- to mid-seventies, but it was at least in the high seventies when the race began, and the course itself has very little shade.  I was in a bad mood, and I was thirsty when we started.  By the time the first hour had passed, it was probably eighty degrees, and I just didn’t want to be there.  I started getting light-headed around Mile Seven, and unwilling to risk my health on what at that point felt like a fool’s errand, I decided to run-walk the rest of the race.

After that, it was weird.  The Fairfield Half has plenty of water stops, and I took two or three cups of water or Gatorade at every one.  So I had plenty of fluids.  But I still couldn’t control my body temperature, and I couldn’t run more than ten minutes at a stretch.  Needless to say, that second hour was its own special kind of Hell.  I kind of pulled it together when we reached Mile Eleven, but even then, I had to walk a part of Mile Twelve.  I wound up finishing the race in 2:19:19--having averaged almost eleven minutes per mile—and that's more than twenty minutes slower than I’d been in the Hartford Half just eight months prior.  It was a good bit slower than I’d been on a similar twelve-mile course just a week earlier.

At this point, my season is over, and I don’t know what the point of it was.  I’m sore—more from dehydration more than from exertion—and I’m frustrated, and more than anything, I’m determined to spend more time racing bikes next season.  Beyond that, I don’t know what to tell you.

The Fairfield Half is a well-run race, and there're plenty of water stations along the way, but it's crowded as all Hell, and it starts at least an hour later than a summer race has any right to start.  You want to ight through that?  Go ahead.  Me, I'm gonna do something different next year.

Comments

  1. To begin I wanted to say that I got your message loud and clear last week so this is not a hater's comment.

    I was super excited to read that Sally ran as good as she did, I can only hope that she made the front page of the local paper or something for her efforts. How much faster was she than you?

    I was initially sorry to read that your number one race this year was not the success you wanted it to be. But, as I was reading thru your tale of events, I couldn't help but feel that you should cut yourself more slack. The excuses you noted were: running is not your forte, you suffered heat stroke as a young adult, it was hot, traffic was bad on the way there, your mother-in-law didn't meet you at the car to collect your children, you had an argument with a better runner on the way to the event and you let that get in your head, you didn't get to stretch adequately pre-race, and it was crowded. I mean, at that point in the reading I started to hear: "And a partridge in a pear tree".

    However, you completed the race at a time that is really, really good in my opinion. The fact that you walked part way and were still able to finish in 2hrs and 19 mins is amazing to me. My ass would still be out there - and it's Thursday! A half marathon is nothing to shake a stick at and as a reader I wish you would see this as more of an accomplishment than a failure. You're a great athlete and the fact that you've decided to coach others along to be better athletes shows an enormous amount of know-how AND that you're willing to share your knowledge and experience.

    On the flip side, I can't help but think of the athletes out there that compete in Iron Man events that have artificial legs and such. I mean, really dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment.

      Look, it's not about the excuses. I mean, I hope it's not anyway. But as an athlete, you want to improve, and for me that means trying to learn what went right and what went wrong--in obsessive detail. I'm not the athlete I was as a kid, but at the same time, anything worth doing is worth doing well. It is what it is.

      As for Iron Men and whatnot... Yeah, some of those guys are really amazing. This guy my old office, Tim, has done two Iron distance races and finished in under 11 hours. That is outstanding. But Tim doesn't have any kids, and he's honest about the fact that that's an advantage for adult distance racing. Personally, I wouldn't trade my kids for a better athletic career, but we all see life differently. All of life is about trade-offstage, and that's doubly true of triathlon.

      My friend Jason DeGroot used to say that making comics is a journey, not a destination. Adult endurance racing is very similar. You finish projects, you finish seasons, but the journey itself never ends. You never sort of "get there". What you do is you find a balance that works and you do the best you can.


      Finally, it's not so much that I'm upset with the effort of my race as I am with my inability to control the other extraneous nonsense that affects every race for better or worse. Whatever I had physicallly, I left it out there on the course. I tried my best, and I'm at peace with that. The problems here were mental errors and errors of preparation, and hose can be controlled. But only if we first understand what happened and why.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs