#AsForDynamite: Pushing the Boundaries

After watching Will Osprey's match against Kyle Fletcher a few weeks ago, the guys are Wrestletalk said something to the effect those two guys had pushed the boundaries of what's possible in pro-wrestling in 2024 .  For what it's worth, this is what I personally like most about AEW. They not presenting the same old staid, expected crap. They are at least trying to take the art form in a new direction. We've seen this a ton lately. Whether it's Osprey just doing what he does, or Swerve cutting an extremely uncomfortable promo over another man's child. Hangman using that angle to fuel a moment in which he drinks Swerve's blood. Hell, even something as straightforward as MJF and Adam Cole building the tired, "Can they coexist?" trope into a poignant story of loneliness and male friendship. We're not seeing this kind of stuff anywhere else.

Whatsername and the Manic Pixie Dream Girl

I had a nightmare.  Just now.  About an hour ago.  And it left me thinking about this girl that I knew in high school, and although I've not thought of her in ten years, God help me, those memories are still so powerful that here I am, twenty-something years later, and I'm still shaking.  I've been lying in bed now thinking about her and all that stuff for more than an hour, and I just can't let it go.  So I finally figured, hey, I'm gonna have to just write it all down, and maybe that'll exorcise the demons.
Almost Famous is one of my favorite
movies.  In it, Kate Hudson plays a
prototypical manic pixie dream girl.

So.  This is the story of my Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

This is the story of this girl that I knew, of the fact that I knew that she was Trouble, and of the fact that I liked her anyway.  That I liked her a lot.  Not in the sense that she was super-hot, and I wanted to sleep with her--although that was true--and not in the sense that she was this unapproachable girl that I was afraid to talk to, and I look back on it and wish that I'd done something different and just had the courage of my convictions or whatever.  That story is a whole different story about a whole different girl, and it doesn't go quite like that in any event.  No, this is different.  I knew my MPDG quite well, spent several nights up talking to her literally all night long, and the memory of those nights--of holding her in my arms and just being with her, especially the night before I left for West Point--literally kept me going in those first early weeks at the Academy.

So this is not the story of The One That Got Away.  That is someone different.  I wrote about her obliquely a couple of weeks ago, and what makes it different is that I was too stupid to realize what we could have had until it was much, much too late.  But what we could have had, that would have been a good thing.  I mean, I still don't know what she would have thought about it, I only know that I was too stupid or too chicken to be honest with myself about what I was feeling, and in retrospect, that was a bad mistake.  And a big part of the reason why I was stupid about it was because the whole time that I could have been with The One That Got Away, I was instead in this on-again, off-again thing with my MPDG.  And that was a thing, but if it had ever really been a thing, it would a train wreck in exactly the same way that my first marriage was a train wreck.

Is it normal that after twenty-something years I'm still thinking about these girls?  I mean, it's awkward, right?  I'm married--happily married--and I wouldn't trade that for anything.  I would never do anything to jeopardize my marriage.  But I do wish I felt like I could shoot my friend an email and say, "Hey.  I was thinking of you tonight at 3am, and I don't want it to be awkward, but those were some good times, and I miss you."  Like, I don't want to change my life, interrupt somebody else's marriage, explore what we could have had.  That is totally not what I'm talking about.

But.

After it was clear that MPDG and I weren't gonna be a thing, not really, after it was clear that she was trouble, and even if she wasn't, she was in Tampa, Florida, and I was at West Point, and we weren't writing anymore.  After that, when all I had from that whole time with her was my memories of lying on the floor of my parents's house the night before I had to leave, wondering how I'd let all that time slip away without saying and doing all that stuff that I'd always meant to say and do...  After all of that, I got over it.  I put somebody else's picture up on my desk.

For two fucking years, I kept a picture of Whatsername, of The One That Got Away, on my desk at West Point, and as God is my witness, just having her there kept me from loosing my mind at the Academy on more occasions than I can count.

I found that picture when I was going through my mother's effects after she died, and I almost started crying.  I showed it to my wife, and I said, "This is a picture of one of my best friends.  She probably doesn't even know this, but I kept this picture on my desk for almost the entire time I was at the Academy, and it meant a Hell of a lot to me.  We're not in touch anymore, but I sure hope she's doing okay."

How do you explain that to someone?  How do you say, "Hey!  Thinking of you gave me hope at a time when I really needed it.  And I thought of you again tonight, and I was grateful."  I have this feeling that I can't say that, that trying to would only make her feel awkward, that sometimes we grow up and move on, and for better or worse those good old days, those old friendships, they're behind us.  They're  just gone.  You get married, and they get married, and then you start thinking about all this stuff that happened a million years ago, and it's not the same.  And you want to bring it up, but it's like, I'd rather remain die--I'd rather remain silent--than have it seem like some cheap come-on twenty years too late.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl finally cut me loose for real at Christmas of my Plebe Year.  It was cool.  She was at college in Virginia, and she explained in very adult terms that she was trying to be someone different, and that it was working for her.  That no one but me knew the old her anymore, and that frankly, she wanted to leave that person that she'd used to be behind.  I was someone from her old life, and she didn't want me around to remind her of who she'd been.  It was the right call for all involved.  I've said that she was Trouble, right?  Well, as a college freshman, she started putting Trouble behind her, and I can only hope that she succeeded.  I did my part.  I never spoke to her again.  In the years since, I've tried not even to think of her.  I am for damn sure not gonna go look her up on Facebook.

Whatsername...  Well, I do know what happened to her.  Through the miracles of modern technology, I know that she's married, and that everything is going okay.  She seems happy, ludicrously so.  At this point, that's enough.  More than enough, really.

For me, well, I moved to New York right before September 11th, and although there were some dark days there right after the attacks--in addition to the horror of the event itself and its aftermath, that was also when my father got serious about drinking himself to death--but eventually I met Sally at a running club in Hoboken, and we have literally been together ever since.  We met on a Tuesday, our first date was a long run on that Saturday, and she's still here.  She never went home from that first date!


So life is good.  In fact, ludicrously so.

Comments

  1. Hey, I hope I'm not too late to comment on this but this post resonated with me though probably not in the most direct way. I don't think I've ever had a MPDG and I've never had a one-that-got-away but I have had people that had a huge effect on my life and have had the chance to see them again decades later.

    I had a buddy when I was 7 years old that completely impacted the way I live my life. For instance, it was the first time I really watched wrestling and we've seen where that's lead. Just a little while ago, I contacted him on FB and thought we'd catch up. Not really.
    Another person I grew up with in grade school contacted me and started talking about all the 'good times.' The problem was, I was that kid that everyone picked on until High School. I reminded her gently enough, but told her unapologetically that I really didn't look fondly on that part of my life.

    So, conversationally speaking, I think you'd be okay to drop your MPDG a line to say what's up, but I wouldn't drop that she was your anchor for a time. Of course it was true and telling her that wouldn't change it, but I think it puts her in a weird spot.

    Remember my friend that I mentioned when I was 7? I dropped something similar on him. I think it would've been better all around if I hadn't said anything. Small exaggeration here, but putting someone on a pedestal when you're younger doesn't really help them or you. Scratch that, putting someone on a pedestal is fine, especially if it gets you through, but telling that person... probably not the best. It's like they didn't ask for it and don't want it. And really, what are they supposed to say? Thanks for thinking of me fondly? The disappointment is that not that they don't reciprocate, it's that you built them up into something that they never were. Something better that they could never reasonably live up to and they know it before you do.
    And that girl that reminded me of all the 'good times' in grade school? She immediately de-friended me. I don't feel bad about it, but I think I burst that bubble of hers and I think that could happen to you. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh. Alan, I've tried to repond to you twice now on my phone but I keep accidentally screwing it up. So it'll have to wait. Consider that a teaser and check back later. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alan, thanks for spending some time with this. That means a lot to me.

    I wrote this thing in something like a fever dream very early Saturday morning, and I got close to sending it to my friend with what I hoped was a nice—and not too creepy—note right after I finished. But then I thought about it, and in doing so, I went through a thought process that was very similar to yours. Which is to say that the more I thought about it, the less I thought that some weird after-the-fact confession seemed like a good idea. I mean, the best that you can hope for in a situation like this is an awkward silence, no? I’m pretty sure that it is.

    On the other hand, I like the post itself. I feel like it’s a decent piece of writing, and I’m proud of it. There’s a joy in language, an ideal of expressing your feelings—painting a picture of all the crazy stuff that’s going on in your head—with words. But all of that stuff is meaningless if you’re not honest with yourself about what it is that’s actually going on in your head, and if you’re not also willing to commit it to paper. For better or worse, that’s the craft. That’s what writing is. If you don’t lay it out there, then what’s the point?

    It is what it is. I’d like to share this post more—because that’s part of the craft, too—but then again, I feel like I probably better not make too big a deal about it, either. So here we are. I wound up putting up several more posts after this one on Saturday, effectively burying the story immediately after I’d written it, and by the end of the day, I was more than happy that that’s the way it had ended up. I hated doing that, but it was unquestionably the right move.

    Still, I’m super-happy that you read it, Alan, and that it spoke to you. That’s the point, right? You put something up because that’s what’s on your mind, that’s how you feel, and you hope that somebody else sees it and says, “Yeah, I totally get that. I feel that, too.” I mean, I like writing the bubblegum stuff like Hiro Arturian and/or Centurion Six, but in the end, I wouldn’t be doing this if it weren’t for the occasional chance to write about something real.

    With all of that said, I’m sorry about your friend. It sucks to hurt somebody’s feelings, especially unintentionally. It happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you wrote it and posted it too. It is a good piece of writing, but something that I think something that is woefully unappreciated is how much you put yourself out there and so honest about it. And you do it daily! It's inspired me to do more of that with my own writing because, like you said, if you don't lay it out there, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're rIght that it's hard. Not every day, but some days. Still, I don't think it's possible to write stuff that's compelling without putting a piece of yourself into it.

    Thanks again, Alan. I have no idea if anyone else is following any of this, but I'm glad I could share it with somebody.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment