Diet Update: Day 14

As usual, I weighed in after spin class today--192.5 lbs!  That's down 3.5 from where I started, which is awesome.  With that said, I think I've learned a few things since I started dieting.

1.  A person's weight can fluctuate a lot.  For me, time of day and relative water weight are both factors that can give me +/- 3 lbs or so.

2.  Using a calorie counter program over time is fine, but it's no use trying to over-achieve on any given day.  On the days when I've gone way under my calorie goal for the day, I've invariably been hungry as all Hell the day after.

3.  Counting calories every day is a huge pain in the ass.  I can see why so many people fall off their diets.  It's like every time I sit down, I have to stop, grab my phone, and take notes on what I'm eating or doing.  Since I tend to eat little snack-like meals all day long, that means I'm pretty much always taking notes.  The same is true for exercise, as is the fact that I spend lots of time doing little exercise-type things during the day.

4.  It would be much harder to manage this diet if I worked outside Manhattan.  As it is, I spend at least three quarters of an hour either walking or riding around the City pretty much every single work day.  If I commuted by car, I'd have to find some other way to make up that casual bit of exercise, and that would be a huge pain.

* * *

Okay, this isn't exactly diet related, but if you ask me, the fact that Mitt Romney has picked Paul Ryan as his running mate means, bottom line, that Romney isn't sure his base is going to turn out for him, and that it's becoming a serious problem.  So he's doubled down on Voodoo Economics because, y'know, the Tea Party likes that kind of thing.

It never ceases to astonish me how far the GOP has moved to the right since 1980.  In fact, it was George H.W. Bush who actually coined the term "voodoo economics" as a description of Ronald Reagan's then-proposal to both cut taxes and raise spending in order to get the country out the recession of the 1970s.  Here they are debating the issue way back when.


So.  Nothing ever changes.  Except the tone of the debate, of course.  These two guys at least sounded civil and intelligent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs