Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I'm in the market for a better form of advertising.

I like Google's AdSense because it's easy to use, but the thing I don't like about it is that I'm not designing the ads.  And, I mean, I get that folks want to pay for results, but if some third-party advertiser has poorly designed ads, then of course no one is going to click them.  Question is--what's that to me?  I'm doing that part; I'm displaying the ads.  If they're not working, that's your look-out for designing ads that aren't effective.

Granted, I could have more traffic on my blog, but still.  If it takes two million views to get one click, what that's telling me is that you need a new graphic design team and a better message.  Try making your ads aspirational rather than just throwing a couple of words up there or a girl in a t-shirt and hoping for the best.

I helped whip this ad up back when Proletariat
Comics was part of the Repercussion Comics Group.
We'd noticed that comic artists tended to have
super-hot wives and hoped the ad was aspirational--for nerds.
Anybody got any thoughts on this?

And by the way, I know you're out there.  I have metrics telling me that you're here.  Now's the time to get off the fence and say something, alright?

Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment