Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thursday Odds and Ends

I wasn't real hyped about going into swim practice yesterday, even going so far as to tweet:



But truth to tell, practice went well.  My friend Ben was there, and it's been competitive lately when we've worked out together in the pool.  We did 200 SKIPS* to warm up, and then Ben says, "Let's do a ladder set."

Truth: this was much more than I was looking to work.  But I said, "Okay.  How about 100-200-300-400-300-200-100?  On 1:30?"

Ben shrugged, and we were off.

I'd been feeling like crap, but somewhere in the opening bit of the set, things started coming together.  By the time we hit the first 300, I hit my groove and fell into what was very nearly a trance.  Wound up going under 1:15 for every 100 of that set, save for the last 100 of the 400, where I was 1:17.  That's very nearly a full mile at 1:15/100 pace.

Yeah, yeah.  I know what you're thinking.  And it's true.  That's no great shakes if you're swimming a lot.  However, if you're a 40-year-old dude with two kids who swims twice/week, that ain't bad.

***
We've been talking a lot here lately about D&D and how Hasbro's not making much use of what ought to be a pretty useful property.  Well...


...that's not a bad start to changing things around.

If you're wondering, the new D&D Kreo sets were announced at the San Diego ComicCon.

***
So I'm on the train home yesterday flipping through Twitter, and I see that a woman named Julie Kicklighter responded to something that Ross Tucker said.  So I flip over and find out that she's a former Miami Dolphins Cheerleader, current fitness model and author, and apparently a competitive archer as well.  So I decided to follow her.  And she tweets me back:

I mention it solely because it's an excuse to post the following picture.


You like that one, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment