Friday, August 8, 2014

Five Things on a Friday: the End is Near

1.  Vacation is Almost Over.
We've been in Maine for ten days, but tomorrow we have to go back.  I suppose I'm ready.  It's been great being up here with my family, but it's been a little like living in suspended animation. I want to get back, start sending out inquiry letters for my book, put my new story notes into some kind of order, and write.  Stuff from work has also started piling up, but I refuse to think about that just yet.

And then, too, Fall is just around the corner. We'll be at several Army football games this year, and I may start racing again if my knees and ankles keep holding up through the coming running season.  I'd love to do a half-marathon, but I'd settle for being able to run ten miles comfortably and without pain.  I've run well on the dirt roads of Maine.  It'd be nice to carry that forward once we get home. 

2.  We Road the Carriage Roads Yesterday.
We started at Bubble Pond and road south around Day Mountain.  There and back totaled just over nine miles.  Hannah rode well, but her little single-speed isn't great on gradients above about 4%, and more to the point, I didn't get many pictures.  We had lunch afterwards at Bubble Pond, and that was awesome. 









really enjoyed the day but wish we had more pictures from it.

3.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is out Today.
The movie was getting surprisingly good reviews last I checked.  I'd like to see it Sunday when we get home, but God only knows if we'll have time. 

4.  Lazy Day Today.
It's already noon, and we're still hanging around in the cabin.  I swam a little but don't feel motivated to do much, and the kids have been playing some game outside that neither Sally nor I understand all morning long.  Sally and I took the canoe out a little earlier and paddled around a few of the islands, but I felt lazy even then.  Honestly, I'm ready to crack a beer and just watch the world go by. 

Early this morning--before breakfast--Sneax and company made it up to the ruins of the town of Thundertree, where they defeated some zombies and some plant monster and found the druid Reidoth.  They decided to try to chase off the dragon Venomfang on Reidoth's behalf, but before they reached the dragon's lair, they ran into some giant spiders and were very nearly killed.  I've looked at the encounter with the dragon, and frankly, I have no idea how the company is going to survive. 

5.  Looking Forward & Looking Back.
I'm sure there must a few things going on outside of Maine, but I have no idea what any of them are.  It's weird because I usually follow current events closely, but this past week or so, we've practically been living on another planet. 

Part of me is eager to get back, and part of me wants to sell my book, move up here permanently, and cut all ties with the outside world forever.  told one of my friends recently that I'm a little afraid of what overwhelming success for my book would mean. I have no desire to ruin my favorite hobby by making it a full-time profession; I've done that kind of thing before, and it didn't work out at all well.  I don't write about my day-job much, but that doesn't mean I don't like it or don't think it's important.  I simply choose not to discuss it on social media. 

It's been nice being in Maine all this time, but as tempting as it sometimes seems to try to make this lifestyle permanent, I'm not at all sure the reality of living here full-time would be at all like the reality of vacationing here for a week in the best part of the summer. 

There's probably nothing to worry about. The book probably won't sell more than a hundred copies.

Anyway, I got my first full feedback on the book while we were up here from my friend Alan Evans (Rival Angels), and he was quite complementary.  He liked the ending; I even managed to win him over with the Epilogue, a part of the story that I wasn't at all sure was going to work. A few other folks are still test-reading the full-length story, but as Sally told me last night, the thing is long.  I'm looking forward to hearing what some of my other readers have to say, but I also feel like folks are too nice and too afraid to hurt my feelings.  I want someone to read the book who's actively trying to upset me and who takes the time to be both thorough and vicious. The most likely outcome of that, though, would be that they just wouldn't finish the story.  That sucks, but it's not at all helpful.

***
That's all I've got. Have a good weekend.    We'll see you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment