#AsForDynamite: Pushing the Boundaries

After watching Will Osprey's match against Kyle Fletcher a few weeks ago, the guys are Wrestletalk said something to the effect those two guys had pushed the boundaries of what's possible in pro-wrestling in 2024 .  For what it's worth, this is what I personally like most about AEW. They not presenting the same old staid, expected crap. They are at least trying to take the art form in a new direction. We've seen this a ton lately. Whether it's Osprey just doing what he does, or Swerve cutting an extremely uncomfortable promo over another man's child. Hangman using that angle to fuel a moment in which he drinks Swerve's blood. Hell, even something as straightforward as MJF and Adam Cole building the tired, "Can they coexist?" trope into a poignant story of loneliness and male friendship. We're not seeing this kind of stuff anywhere else.

We're Home

If there's an upside to being back at home, it's that we have TV in the house.  I watched part of the Giants pre-season game last night while flipping back and forth to try and catch Johnny Manziel's debut for the Browns.  Sadly, the Browns put Manziel in too late, so that by the time he was in, Sally and I were already watching Suits.

I keep wanting to tell myself that it's good to be back, but I miss my beautiful lake view in the morning and the call of the loons.  I slept so well up there, but last night I was restless from the drive and--as often happens--couldn't stop thinking about the million-and-five things that I need to get back to now that we're home.

Heck, even our dog seems to miss Maine, but she's re-adjusting better than Sally and I are.

Inspiration Aside, Giants Show They Have Work to Do (NYT)
"The Gi­ants, de­spite a 2-0 pre­sea­son mark and their late 12-play march Sat­ur­day, are still try­ing to find their way as they ad­just to the up-tem­po West Coast of­fense of their new co­or­di­na­tor, Ben McAdoo."

Eli Manning looks like crap in that new offense.  Even with it, the Giants are still a big-play machine.  The only won last night because free agent acquisition Rashad Jennings busted off a 73-yard run early.

The new O-Line seems to run block okay, but their pass protection was shit last night.  The Giants have made up for this kind of thing in the past with plays deep to Victor Cruz, but with all the shallow routes last night, Manning had nowhere to go with the ball.

I want to believe, but I just don't yet.

***
Men Often Mentored by Women at the Pool (NYT)
This is news?  I routinely coach women.  Who cares?

***

Sports Center said that Jake Locker went 1/2 for 6 yards.  That's notably better than Eli Manning played, and yet, I don't think I'm ready to believe more deeply in the Titans than I am in the Giants.

***
Restoring Acadia’s Trails (NYT)

"The rem­nants be­yond the thresh­old were from an es­tate that be­longed to George Buck­nam Dorr, a Boston lawyer, phil­an­thropist, trail builder, bel es­prit and a founder of Aca­dia Na­tion­al Park. In 1868 Dorr ar­rived on Mount Desert Is­land, which is five hours north­east of Boston by car and bridge to­day; it was two days by train, steam­er and bug­gy in the 19th cen­tu­ry. His fam­i­ly was among the first “cot­tagers,” along with the Rock­e­fellers, Fords, Van­der­bilts and As­tors, who built es­tates on the coast of Maine in the late 1800s. On one of those per­fect Maine days, his fam­i­ly fell un­der the is­land’s spell. His fa­ther bought prop­er­ty south of Bar Har­bor, and the seeds of the first na­tion­al park east of the Mis­sis­sip­pi were sown."

See?  It's not just us.  The place is magical, and once you've been, it stays in your blood forever.

***
I ran this morning.  Now I've got to do the dishes.  Tomorrow I've got to work.

This is real life.  It's not bad, but it's also not Acadia.

Comments