Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Poetry: Behold the Dark One

This week only, $.99!
I should probably never write poetry, and I should certainly never write it in conjunction with the Sneax & Elaina Emboo books.  Unfortunately, though, it's one of those bad habits that's both well established in genre and slyly addictive once you first give in to temptation.

Will I actually put this into Sneakatara Boatman & the Crown of Pluto?

I dunno.  I might.  I mean, my friend and West Point classmate Ray talked me into putting the last one, "Song of the Great City", into Sneakatara Boatman & the Priest of Loki.  It's not like it's impossible.

For now, though, this is just a draft.  It's an idea.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on it if you've got a little time.

Behold the Dark One

Behold the Dark One,
the Reaver, the Slayer of Men,
comes forth from the shadows unlooked for
with revenge for the Father of Sin.

Behold the Tale-Teller,
the Liar, Deceiver of Eyes.
Stand not against legions in battle;
honeyed tongue deceives warriors and flies.

Behold the Sneak-Thief,
the Taker, the Breaker of Law
No Crown is secure in his presence,
no treasure secure from his maw.

Behold the Destroyer,
the Child turned Taker of Life.
Arise shadows to march in his army
Bring war to the gods, oh bring strife!

 -- Pontius Aurealius, from Sayings from the Wisdom of Loki, Final Chapter: “The Coming of Ragnarök”

No comments:

Post a Comment