Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday Stray Voltage



Ugh.  I can't believe I watched this game.  I mean, yeah, I turned it off in disgust at the start of the 4th quarter, but even so, I still wasted a couple of hours on it, and it's not like I can ever get those hours back.  Plus, I let it put me in a bad mood.

Stupid!  And I've been an Army fan long enough to know better.

This Army team is terrible.  They were never going to be good, but they've underperformed against even the most modest expectations, and the way that this particular game was coached, it looked like they were playing to keep the score close more than they were playing to win.  In a way, I'm glad that Air Force scored that last touchdown to seal the reality that this was a blow-out, that Army never really stood a chance.  Because at this point, I'm so tired of hearing about how this team has blown chances, how they've been this close in games.

It's bullshit.  They let Fordham get well ahead in the opener, closed the deficit, but needed a miracle and couldn't find one.  Then they did the same against UConn.  Against Wake Forest, they knocked out the starting quarterback but let a true freshman throw all over them before--finally--closing the score late, only to then give up a game-winning drive again.  Penn State, Rice... this is the story of the season.

Army can't get anything on offense, the defense eventually gives up points, Army finally opens it up a bit and scores, the defense holds, it looks good for a minute, and then they lose, having made something of a brave showing of it following a disastrous start.

Air Force finally broke the narrative.  Let's hope that leads to some kind of changes.


It's important to remember that there are other sports, that the fact that the football team is broken doesn't mean that the Academy is broken.  It just means that the football team is broken.

Unfortunately, football is the sport that everybody watches.

***

This was yesterday, and I completely forgot about it.  Almost everyone I know ran this race, but I put in a long swim workout.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment