Friday, April 15, 2016

5 Things on a Friday: First Draft = Final Copy

Sometimes the best laid plans go awry.  This is one of those times; hence today’s late, short “5 Things”.  Hopefully it’ll still be worth your time.
Me and Hannah on the way into the City.
I’m lucky to be off today.  Sally, the girls, and I are headed into Manhattan for a day of touring.  So I’ve got from now until we get into Harlem to get this column together.  Wish me luck.

1. I Didn’t Know I Was Transgender (Slate)
I had a lot of prejudices about transgender folks—ones that a lot of bigoted, fearful people share. I thought that maybe trans people were crazy, unable to accept reality the way I had. I also suspected there might be something sinister or dangerous about transgender people, something that needed to be resisted. I thought they mistook societal gender norms for natural rules—though I’d never investigated what actual trans people thought about gender norms, and the reality is that the transgender community tends to be a lot more progressive about gender norms than mainstream society is. I also reckoned that I could always spot a trans person—that a person’s “real” gender always showed through. I saw sex and gender as something one was stuck with, and I believed it was a sign of weakness to complain or try to change whatever nature had left you with.
I also believed that all women secretly wanted to be men. This is not actually the case.
It’s not often that an article about gender identity issues catches my attention.  Trans issues--and gender issues in general--aren’t a big part of my life.  I’m not against them; I’m not for them.  I have my own struggles, and I mostly worry about things that impact my family and me.
This article, though, is excellent.  The author approaches what is obviously difficult subject matter with an attitude that embraces its difficulty.  There’s no, “of course I’m transgender, and you should embrace that.”  It’s more, “I had no idea what this was, and like it or not, this is my story of figuring it out.”
I liked it.  It’s an excellent piece of writing.
2.  Dr. Strange

Wow!  Trippy, man.  Very trippy.
In a meeting with reporters this week, Foreign Minister Lubomir Zaoralek said he supported the move, suggesting that foreigners often mangled his country’s name when he met them abroad. “It is not good if a country does not have clearly defined symbols or if it even does not clearly say what its name is,” Zaoralek said, according to the Czech News Agency.
When the decision does go through, Czechia will officially become the conventional short-form name for the country, while the Czech Republic will remain the conventional long-form name.
Works for me.
4. Rams picking first overall after major trade with Titans (ESPN)
Tennessee sent the top selection along with its fourth- (No. 113) and sixth-round (No. 177) picks this year to the Rams in exchange for Los Angeles' first-round pick (No. 15), two second-round selections (Nos. 43 and 45) and a third-round pick (No. 76) in 2016. The Titans also will get the Rams' first- and third-round picks in 2017.
Thank God for Jeff Fisher.  I don’t know what the now Los Angeles Ram needs, but the Titans need all the help they can get, and that’s exactly what this trade gives them.  They now have the Rams’ first pick, both their second round picks, and their third round pick in addition to their own second and third round picks.  Assuming at least minimum competence, Tennessee ought to pick up at least four starters this year’s draft and two in next year’s.
5. Army Football Update
Rocking the old-school A this
week in honor of tomorrow's
Army-Navy Lax game.
Army is looking for fullbacks, and surprisingly, QB Ahmad Bradshaw seems to be getting most of the work with the first team offense.  Bradshaw has been with the ones the last two workouts, according to beat writer Sal Interdonato.  I’d not have bet it would go that way coming off of last year’s Navy game, but Bradshaw certainly talent.  Meanwhile, rising firstie Aaron Kemper appears set as the team’s starting fullback--finally--but there are several plebes vying to back him up.  
The video below is Elijah St. Hilaire catching a pass in the flat.  Not sure who the quarterback is, and the pass is a little behind him even for a comeback route--and St. Hilaire double-clutches it--but at least it’s a catch.
***
That’s all I’ve got.  We’re headed to the Museum of the City of New York and then to Koreatown for lunch before catching an early afternoon train home.  Hannah and I will be at tomorrow's Army-Navy Lacrosse game at Michie Stadium as well.

Enjoy your weekend, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment