Sunday, November 27, 2016

Saturday Workout with Hannah

I've been working this week to get back into the gym with my daughter Hannah.  This is something of a switch.  Hannah is a dancer and a gymnast while I am a swimmer and a triathlete.  We spent a lot of time earlier in the year working out together to help Hannah improve in gymnastics, but because of school and work pressures, we haven't been working out together as much lately.  Hannah had to put more focus on her schoolwork and on ballet while I decided to double-down on swimming.

My personal goal was to qualify for Master's Nationals in the 500 free.  I managed to put down a 6:05 mid-practice a few months ago against a goal time of 5:40, but I ran out of time and never had the chance to put together a real time trial.  Now Hannah and I are (slowly) getting back together in the gym.

Here was Saturday morning's workout.  We did a longish warm-up, followed by 3 x three super-sets.

Warm-Up:
 -- 3 x Sunrise Salute
 -- General Stretching
 -- 10 x body-weight squats
 -- 10 x jumping jacks
 -- 10 x push-ups

Super-Set 1 (x 3):
 -- Military Press (10 reps)
 -- 10 x Burpees (jump!)
 -- 12 x Tuck-Ups

Super-Set 2 (x 3):
 -- Weight-Assisted Dips (10 reps)
 -- Dumbbell Bent-Over Rows (10 reps)
 -- Dumbbell Lower Back Extensions (12 reps)

Super-Set 3 (x 3):
 -- Goblet Squats (12 reps)
 -- Dumbbell Bicep Curls (10 reps, 10 reps, 12 reps)
 -- Russian Twists (12 reps)

Then we ran.

Hannah and I put in 8/10 mile together, right at an 11:00 pace.  Then I dropped her at home and put in another 3 miles at 9:22/mile average.  That wasn't fast, but it was a good exercise in running tired, which is a core skill for triathletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment